Cape Town. SA Fly Fishing Advice

malpatt

I will be in South Africa for a few weeks in early 2016, staying with friends in Somerset West, which is about a 30 minute drive from Cape Town. My friends are not into fishing.

I have found some companies on the web that advertise guiding days on mountain streams and rivers, but I was wondering if anyone has fished in that area recently or used any of the local companies as a recommendation for me?

I see that there are several commercial still waters as well so any advice on these?

Any advice and a guide to prices would be most welcome.

Thanks.

Mac

icejohn

If u venture out and about make sure u get exact area and times that it's safe to stay etc as some areas are no go areas even to pass through to get somewhere. Am talking personal safety here so ask the locals preferably fisherman! Stellenbosh estate has some fishing it's private but heard if u can get in its amazing.

Last edited:

thetrouttickler

Cape Town in Jan, Feb and even March usually means dry summer flows and spooky fish. This past March has been the driest on record. Having said that, the fish are still there to be caught on light equipment and long leaders. You will be pleased to hear that a trout stream flows right through the suburbs of Somerset West...

The best fishing and access is controlled by the Cape Piscatorial Society. Check out their website at The Cape Piscatorial Society

The Smalblaar River in particular is a beaut. It's the only CPS river I've had the privilege of fishing so far.

The only real 'full time' guide that I'm aware of is Tim Rolston, Inkwazi Flyfishing. He has a good reputation. Check out his website at Inkwazi Flyfishing Safaris full service fly fishing guiding

To get you into the swing of things I suggest you sign up for the weekly email newsletter of Dr Tom Sutcliffe, which has a strong Cape Town emphasis with reports of local fishing. Beyond that it is a great flyfishing newsletter which any angler will appreciate. His website is www.tomsutcliffe.co.za

Otherwise I'd also think about joining local flyfishing forum Fly Talk - Fly Fishing Forum. Whilst a bit slow at times the people there bend over backwards to help and if you play your cards right might even see one or two of them offering to host you on the rivers. I was lucky to have had such offers from very knowledgeable fishermen which I snatched up.

As for the first response re crime. Like any city in the world, you need to take sensible precautions and have your wits about you. The general feel however is that the Western Cape is the safest of the large urban conurbation areas. Don't let it affect your enjoyment, it shouldn't. Cape Town and Stellenbosch are beautiful - a great part of the world!

malpatt

Thanks both for the replies. I have been over there to stay with my friends several times so I know the area and the problem areas etc. but I have never fished there.

I have been in touch with Tim Rolston and now have an idea of his services and prices.

Good advice though about the local forum and quizzing their members, thanks again.

we-flyfish

Forget the cape streams in "their" mid summer.

Go saltwater fishing. You can catch awesome Garrick/lerries off the strand.

Floating/int lines with all the usual saltwater bait patterns. I found they like a booby minkies popped across the surface. their take is thunmping.

If you get in the car and drive along the cape Kynsna lagoon is awesome from a boat but also from the shore on incoming tides.

Inland in the winelands every other estate has dams with trout bass carp etc. Excelsor wine estate is amazing place to stay and they have trout carp and bass in a dam by the house and there are large numbers of bass in the river near by which the owners son in law will tell you/ show you where to go.

Have fun,

Ed

malpatt

Thanks for the advice Ed, The Strand is only a couple of miles from our friends house so that is pretty handy!
Will get them to look into the wine lands set ups for me as well.
Cheers.
Mac