Carbon Fiber Half Well Fly Rod Handle

icejohn

Could these Carbon Fiber Half Well Fly Rod Handle

Be the next big thing. Look like they are some new idea?

What are your thoughts?

icejohn

Yes those. If they stocking them they can't be the new thing then that I was thinking. (

I just havn't seen them before, or any commercial rods in the UK.

PaulD

Here's the CFX website and the 'technology' behind the grips - they're basically a 'plastic' core with a carbon fibre sleeve.

arkle

Not sure I like the idea, as carbon is very smooth, especially when wet, so there's a great potential for slippage. Many, many years ago Intrepid (Yes, them !) did a budget rod, in every sense of the word, with a plastic handle, It died a death very soon after it's introduction as amongst other things, it had no "feel" the sensations of feeling a fish, just wern't there.

eddleston123

Redington introduced and option of a 'plastic' handle on their rods a couple of years ago.
Although not carbon fibre they looked much the same idea with nobbly bits on for grip. Amazingly, if you chose the option of the plastic handle over the cork, you paid an 'extra' fifty quid for the privilege.

Not surprisingly, the idea never took off. Anglers will always like the natural qualities of cork imo.
The only thing that may change that, is if cork becomes scarce for whatever reason and therefore more expensive.

Douglas.

PaulD

The only thing that may change that, is if cork becomes scarce for whatever reason and therefore more expensive.

Douglas.

Cork is scarce and becoming increasingly so. Rod grip cork was a by product from the wine bottle cork industry where evermore bottles are sold with a screw top, reducing the need for cork. As a result of the reduced cork market, numbers of the cork tree plantations have been felled to make way for housing development.

A bag of 250. A+ cork rings (the cheapest way you'll buy them will set you back $1150 (a saving of nearly $90 if you bought in smaller quantities).

GEK79

Cork is scarce and becoming increasingly so. Rod grip cork was a by product from the wine bottle cork industry where evermore bottles are sold with a screw top, reducing the need for cork. As a result of the reduced cork market, numbers of the cork tree plantations have been felled to make way for housing development.

A bag of 250. A+ cork rings (the cheapest way you'll buy them will set you back $1150 (a saving of nearly $90 if you bought in smaller quantities).
That's mind boggling. So expensive.. How many rod handles could you make from the 1150?

jaybeegee

Not sure I like the idea, as carbon is very smooth, especially when wet, so there's a great potential for slippage. Many, many years ago Intrepid (Yes, them !) did a budget rod, in every sense of the word, with a plastic handle, It died a death very soon after it's introduction as amongst other things, it had no "feel" the sensations of feeling a fish, just wern't there.
This sounds like my first fly rod, I thought it was made by Leeda but may have been Intrepid. It had a spring loaded reel seat, also plastic and felt dreadful, but I learnt to cast with it and caught some fish.
B

PaulD

The supply difficulty is for the quality of cork demanded by rod builders - this link illustrates the nature of cork required to build faultless quality rod grips . . .

arkle

I vaguely remember, back in the 90's, I think - there was a fishery owner, possibly in the midlands, who was producing a banded handle, so alternate cork bands interspersed with carbon, Looked a bit wierd, but seemed to work okay, not sure how the durability of them, or rather the adhesive lasted though.

You used to be able to get a sort-of custom made shaped handle, called a "Maniform" a LOT of work went into them & they were expensive, but you could have them made in l. or r. & sized to your grip.

Rhithrogena

Here's an Intrepid 'Superfly' for sale. They were, um, strange, to say the least.........

icejohn

Snake handles blimey. Whatever next, think I might have to put the Johnny on the rod handle, the rubber would be a tight fit, would definitely improve the grip in the wet. Just wouldnt last long....

Or maybe long enough lol.