Carbon fibre handle

lavo85

True enough - mostly. However there are more than one or two crafty b*ggers that just sidle up, eat the buzzer and swim off. Bit like the cat in the poem - crept into the crypt, crap*ed and crept out again. Those give very delicate takes that register in the thumb & forefinger of the rod hand as no more that a slight heaviness. Can't see a rod handle transmitting that somehow.

However, let it not be said that I am unwilling to learn so I think a demonstration by lavo85 of this revolutionary method next May at Farmoor before an audience of forum members should put this to bed. Might even result in some sales.

what are you flappin your gums about?

i asked a question regarding handles, where did i state anything about revolutionary methods, i simply asked had any members try it out.

you dont have many friends do you?!

result in sales? Im not selling anything im afraid.

JayP

i asked a question regarding handles, where did i state anything about revolutionary methods, i simply asked had any members try it out.

Who needs friends when you're a flyfishing 'guide' 😉

BobP

You're the one promoting this, not me. If you can't discuss it in a sensible and civilised manner then we can take it as read that it's not going to set the angling world on fire, Anyone who needs to resort to personal insults like you have has lost the argument.

ed_t

I thought it had been the norm for years in carp/coarse fishing rods and beachcasters, but did not think it helped detecting bites!
Thought it was more to do with the tackle set up!
Bert
Never seen a beachcaster with a carbon grip. Normally a shrink wrap or foam grips.

lavo85

you dont have many friends do you?l
You're the one promoting this, not me. If you can't discuss it in a sensible and civilised manner then we can take it as read that it's not going to set the angling world on fire, Anyone who needs to resort to personal insults like you have has lost the argument.

where did i promote it?

i asked if members had use it, and asked their thoughts on it.

you sound like a stuck up, pompous moron no harm to you.

rfishpond

Sorry to say it’s nothing new to make the rod handle out of same material as the rod - that’s what they did in the days of greenheart and Shakespeare did it more recently with carbon glass mix by swelling the butt of the bottom section (this was ca 35 odd years ago). To answer Bobs question why isn’t he holding the line direct in his retrieving hand like the rest of us do booby nymphing (at farmoor) - far more(!) sensitive than hooking it between rod finger and thumb😉 - will have to wait till we’re out of tier 4 to do it though

tight lines

Richard

tiggs

I must confess that I bought a carbon fibre handle for an 8ft 5wt rod that I built up several years ago. It looks very cool with green mat to match the custom green rod. I bought the handle from US Ebay and it looks a very unique rod. However, while quite light and comfortable, I dont think that I would use a carbon fibre handle again on any rod build.
I dont think that it is more sensitive than cork, it just feels a bit different in your hand. My original concern that it might slip in my hand when wet but doesnt seem to. Probably it is easier to trap the line against the handle while casting but that to me would be the only advantage.

Owen (NZ)

andygrey

Rather than bite detection (which when Euro/Tight-line nymphing comes from the indicator first, the tip second and the handle last) maybe a stiffer handle offers the advantage better feedback of the point fly bouncing along the bottom? I could see this as an advantage but without trying it couldn't quantify it.