Carbon Fibre Handles

Rob Edmunds

Carbon fly rod handles are becoming more popular but I still have reservations, is it just another load of marketing hype from the tackle industry ??

Has anyone tried them ?

Are they more sensitive ( than cork) as claimed?

Do they last well, are they robust?

Do they slip in your hand when casting or when wet?

Do they add too much weight to the rod?

If anyone has first hand experience or opinions I'd be very keen to hear them

Cheers Rob

Rhithrogena

I have no experience of these.
But I guess stiff handles DO add sensitivity, the same as stiff blanks did....
I have tried a hardwood handle (beech) and it felt fab.....

Brennan

I have a lure rod with a carbon fibre monocoque grip and it is extremely sensitive compared to cork. It's useful for lure fishing (it's easy to feel bite vibrations that travel up the braid down the rod and into the grip) but I'm unsure of its value for fly fishing.

Steven

pati

Hi Rob

Good to see you posting, I hope all is well.

Not all carbon handles are created equal. Some are literally twice as heavy as other due to slpppy varnishing. The type of foam used under the carbon sheet is of prime importance in particular too, some guys alternate foam and plastic discs to get direct contact to the blank before covering that with the carbon sleeve matrix.

From what I have read and heard it s particularly useful for euronymphing with increased sensitivity in the hand, but that’s not first hand experience. Another advantage is gor saltwater because the epoxy coating makes it indestructible whereas cork gets abused quite quickly with salt and sand.

I wonder if the handle gets cold in the winter though?

Cheers

JayP

Carbon fly rod handles are becoming more popular but I still have reservations, is it just another load of marketing hype from the tackle industry ??

Has anyone tried them ?

Are they more sensitive ( than cork) as claimed?

Do they last well, are they robust?

Do they slip in your hand when casting or when wet?

Do they add too much weight to the rod?

If anyone has first hand experience or opinions I'd be very keen to hear them

Cheers Rob

Has anyone tried them ? Yes

Are they more sensitive ( than cork) as claimed?...... Yes, cork has a natural damping effect whereas the carbon doesn't have any nor the foam core the grip is built on, the sensitivity is incredible and I love it on my winter grayling nymphing rod.

Do they last well, are they robust?..... I've only used mine maybe a dozen times so I can't speak from experience but a mate uses them on a pike lure rod for years and has no complaints.

Do they slip in your hand when casting or when wet? .......No, they're textured and good give grip, can be a bit sweaty in summer but surprisingly warm in winter.

Do they add too much weight to the rod? .......The reverse half wells carbon grips I sell weigh 15g the same weight as the equivalent cork grip, cork burl is about 20% heavier than cork and rubberised cork is heavier still

If anyone has first hand experience or opinions I'd be very keen to hear them....... Love them on my euro nymphing rod but wouldn't have them on anything else, prefer the aesthetics and feel of cork, cork burl and wood.

IMG_20211113_121612.jpg

codyarrow

Has anyone tried them ? Yes

Are they more sensitive ( than cork) as claimed?...... Yes, cork has a natural damping effect whereas the carbon doesn't have any nor the foam core the grip is built on, the sensitivity is incredible and I love it on my winter grayling nymphing rod.

Do they last well, are they robust?..... I've only used mine maybe a dozen times so I can't speak from experience but a mate uses them on a pike lure rod for years and has no complaints.

Do they slip in your hand when casting or when wet? .......No, they're textured and good give grip, can be a bit sweaty in summer but surprisingly warm in winter.

Do they add too much weight to the rod? .......The reverse half wells carbon grips I sell weigh 15g the same weight as the equivalent cork grip, cork burl is about 20% heavier than cork and rubberised cork is heavier still

If anyone has first hand experience or opinions I'd be very keen to hear them....... Love them on my euro nymphing rod but wouldn't have them on anything else, prefer the aesthetics and feel of cork, cork burl and wood.

View attachment 45434
and that would be reamed as per normal?

Rob Edmunds

I must admit, I'm still not 100% convinced, but as one of my Loomis handles is practically just tape and superglue then I think I'll give one a go.

Ok it's going to look totally different but at the end of the day I view my competition rods are tools - if I don't like it it will be changed back

pati

I must admit, I'm still not 100% convinced, but as one of my Loomis handles is practically just tape and superglue then I think I'll give one a go.

Ok it's going to look totally different but at the end of the day I view my competition rods are tools - if I don't like it it will be changed back
It will look great on the Loomis as it will match the reel seat insert ;-)
Post a picture when it’s done!!!

An alternative that is really nice on bamboo or fibreglass rods is Ratan, might look a bit odd on a carbon rod but very smooth and comfortable in hand!

JayP

It will look great on the Loomis as it will match the reel seat insert ;-)
Post a picture when it’s done!!!

An alternative that is really nice on bamboo or fibreglass rods is Ratan, might look a bit odd on a carbon rod but very smooth and comfortable in hand!
Rattan is lovely especially if you give it a light singe

codyarrow

Took me a while and can;t remember which thread it was but here is a pic of my DIY steadying tool for turning handles.
IMG_1000.JPG
Also a shot of how my DIY drill lathe is held.
IMG_1002.JPG

Sorry for borrowing the thread. :)