Care of silk line

Spider

Hi all, I've often mentioned my live of silk lines, and am now finding that I am using a 2wt for about 80% of my fishing, even now using it with a long leader for French nymphing, or something approximating it!

My question is, how best to look after it? I dry it naturally on a chair for a couple of days after use, and use red mucilin on it before fishing.

Does this replace the tub of grease that comes with it? Am assuming not, but how often should I use this grease?

Tks

Mrtrout

Hi all, I've often mentioned my live of silk lines, and am now finding that I am using a 2wt for about 80% of my fishing, even now using it with a long leader for French nymphing, or something approximating it!

My question is, how best to look after it? I dry it naturally on a chair for a couple of days after use, and use red mucilin on it before fishing.

Does this replace the tub of grease that comes with it? Am assuming not, but how often should I use this grease?

Tks
I just regrease the bit that’s got wet John, in other words no sense regreasing the whole line, l use red mucilin it’s fine for me.
theres a product out now called Otter butter which is highly rated by some, I’ve not tried it yet, but it’s quite expensive.

S.

ptn

Hi Spider,
Like many others I only use red Mucilin on my silk lines. It is important to lay them out to dry immediately when you get home.
Regards
Bill

Spider

Thanks lads, I make sure to dry out the silk after use. But wasn't sure what the difference is between the two products as one is just used to make the silk float?

stevel

Yes all to make the line float, but the line shouldn't dry out, so I guess you should treat the whole line at least once a season and keep it in its box when not being fished off season.
I used to dry them out on a line winder (Angler's Image), taking that opportunity to clean the line from dirt whilst fishing with a damp rag as it's being stripped off the reel onto the winder and then reapply grease after it dried out overnight as it goes back onto the reel.