Carsington 2018

silver nicker

First visit yesterday, very light wind flat to 5mph, overcast skies all day, fished from 10.15 to 6 pm loads of fish to the boat (over 50 between us) mix of stockies and over wintered, all on buzzers and floating lines, with plenty of fish showing on top.
Best area for us was bird hide down to sheep wash, however fish in all the early season places ( all the shallow areas tight in). All the boats caught well.

Kind regards L

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg
Best of the bunch, was this one for Nigel

Last edited:

Goldhead

Yes, I was there on Monday, at times it was a fish a chuck, with over 40 to the boat. We fished fairly close in to the Tower Bank, using buzzers and bloodworms, static to v slow retrieve, on floating lines. Occasional fish were showing, but there was no interest to dry flies. All the fish were very fit and fought like demons.

It was quite a day, but almost too easy; I shall remember that when it ain't quite so easy later in the year!

silver nicker

Yes mate it was easy fishing, that's why we moved off the hot area and went to try some of the other areas around the reservoir. We had some sucess in the other spots, it seemed to us that if you got in the right depth or water and could maintain a drift over that depth there were fish to be had.
I tried the indicator/ bung method with a deer hair fly and had a couple of fish play with it but not take.

D

Deleted member 8214

************************************************************************************

Last edited by a moderator:
G

guest37226

I am jn the area staying for a few nights Tuesday to saturday in a cottage sadly no bank fishing. Hoped i may get a few hours bank fishing in the evening but seems boat only.

just my luck :eek:mg:

- - - Updated - - -

IT is so annoying when trying to post a reply and then a box says "do you want to leave this page." Bl***dy annoying NO I WANT TO MAKE A POST :eek:mg::eek:mg:

wobbly face

I am jn the area staying for a few nights Tuesday to saturday in a cottage sadly no bank fishing. Hoped i may get a few hours bank fishing in the evening but seems boat only.

just my luck :eek:mg:

- - - Updated - - -

IT is so annoying when trying to post a reply and then a box says "do you want to leave this page." Bl***dy annoying NO I WANT TO MAKE A POST :eek:mg::eek:mg:

Then it makes double post, repeat.
Sadly John it's boat only but can be very good fishing. Hoping to fish there sometime next week with Steve b.

G

guest37226

Shame no bank fishing would have liked a few hours on the water .

Hope you have a good day when you fish Ged weather looks good from Tuesday onwards

bibio1st

I thought it was the following week Ged, hopefully they will still be obliging.

John, if you give them a buzz they might be able to fix a boat partner for you.

Steve

Last edited:

heathenwoods

Warning: Newb question alert

I've never taken a boat out on a stillwater. I've rowed a boat before and been a passenger in one with a motor before but never 'piloted'(?) one before. Is it that hard? When I think about it it shouldn't be but at the same time I don't want to pile it into the jetty or anything.

Carsington's only 20mins from but I've never been so I feel like I should give it a try.

bibio1st

Try and get out with someone experienced a few times before trying to go solo is my advice, you’ll learn far quicker that way.

Steve

silver nicker

Hi all fished Carsington on Saturday, light south easterly to flat, over cast until late afternoon, no rain. Much tougher than last week, we had 12 to the boat with quite a few on an off plus a few quick pulls. Fished buzzer patterns all day on floating lines, best flies black super glue buzzer, diawl Bach (red head) jungle cock hares ear.
Fished all over tight in to the bank, best areas Shiningford, and next bay up from fish tail towards the dam. Most of the boats fishing the drift and buzzers found it a bit hard going compared with last week however the anchored boats fishing th big stuff seemed to fair better( I heard pink snake mentioned).
Less fly on compared to last week and the water carrying more colour due the water being pumped in.
The osprey we saw last week must of been passing through as we didn't see it this week and no sight of the solitary swallow either.

Kind regards L

Last edited:

lee71

Thanks for that Silver, Tommy Ruffe and I have a boat booked for Thursday afters so I hope we have a few. Any tips and areas we should concentrate on would be greatly appreciated. :thumbs:

silver nicker

Hi Lee, try the areas I've mentioned, depending on what style you fish, I'm pretty sure we would have done better fishing lures on a slow to medium sinker but we like nymph or dry fly( later in the season) and floating lines from a drifting boat, getting old, lazy and as long as I catch a few not over bothered
Also try tower bank, sheep wash and up by brown ale, not much happening there on Saturday but the week before there were loads, my tip would be look for fly hatching or where it's being blown into the bank
Good luck and tight lines, hope this was some help

Kind regards Lester

silver nicker

image.jpegFished yesterday, after noon boat, had 3 all over 3lb, found-the fish just out of fish tail, fishing nymphs on a fast glass, my mate had 2 on a floater and nymphs. Wasted too much time fishing di 7 after hearing and thinking that the fish were still down deep, the top layer of water has cooled significantly in the last couple of weeks. Still no fly on though.
Hope this helps

Goldhead

Fished it yesterday; thanks Silver Nicker, the fish were still at the mouth of Fishtail. Had 6 before leaving at 3:30. Lost one in the middle of the reservoir, otherwise didn't find fish anywhere except Fishtail. They were up in the water, fished a floater all day catching on Montana and claret dabbler.

Left damp after discovering that waterproof bib and brace is not so good if you are sitting down and allow water to accumulate in your lap - from where it finds its way through the fly and soaks your nethers. It was very heavy thundery rain though. And hail ...

silver nicker

Fished yesterday had 21 between us up to 3 1/2, lost nearly as many ( including one very large lump) fish tail area a mixture of clean resident fish and some fresher stock fish, both in great Nick fished a fast glass line with black blob, cormorant, black nymph, black booby, 10 and 12s could not get a pull on anything with colour.
Weather was ok bit of drizzle for 10 mins then Broken cloud all day, wind WNW 13 ish