Carsington & Blithfield

Rob Edmunds

We decided to have a weekend away for a change and fish waters we don't usually visit that frequently.

Friday and it was Blithfield, 24c , 3mph winds and not a cloud in the sky.

The water was a "tea stained" colour with around 7ft visibility very similar to many of the Welsh waters

We started off on "Dries" by the causeway as there were a few fish moving, my lad picked up 3 and I lost one but that was it for the first 2 hours.

I then changed to a 12ft Slow Tip with 2 foam daddies on the droppers and a small Tequila booby on the point, a long cast, one sharp pull to " pop" the flies and straighten everything out then just keep in touch ...Starting at Watery Lane and slowly drifting down to Dougies we picked up around a dozen fish each in around 3 hours - nothing big and all recent stockies of around 1.5lb.....a good day considering the conditions with 50% of fish coming to the booby on the point rather than the naturals.
( I love a foam daddy on the dropper fish it on any line as it just looks "buggy" and always is worth a fish or two)

Saturday and it was Carsington Reservoir, a much more interesting water in my opinion and one with a lot of potential.

Again the weather was hot 27c with a light 2 - 4mph wind - The water was also "gin clear" 20ft+ visibility and you could see every stone on the bottom.....I expected it to be a struggle given the conditions.

I set up a Di-3 Sweep and a 20ft leader with a Hummungus on the point and a Foam Daddy on the dropper, My Lad opted for a Di-5 Sweep with a Hummungus and Blob - with the water so clear we decided to keep it simple and just 2 flies on a long leader.

We started our first drift by The Sailing Club Island and Drifted Down to the Stones Island which actually took over an hour in the light wind.

Despite the conditions we picked up a lot ( over 10) well mended silvered up rainbows in the 2- 3lb class with the majority of takes coming to the Hummungus on the "Hang" just as you dropped the fly back at the end of the retrieve. ( for every fish we had 2 or 3 follows)

We then decided to try "Fishtail Creek" as it's always a favoured area of mine, yet despite us working the depths for 2 hours we didn't have a pull or follow - time to move again.

Millfield's Island was next and the first drift saw us pick up another 2 nice rainbows and a couple of small 1.5lb browns. However the interesting thing was we had 5 or 6 follows from much larger browns ( I estimate them to be in the 5 to 7lb range) the clear water and light winds didn't help and we just couldn't get them to take even after we scaled down to 1 fly on a 20ft leader ( a Hummungus)

We repeated the drift twice more and had nothing....not even a follow !! - These fish were very spooky. We decided to leave the area and fish Millfield's Bay ( intending to return later once the water had been well rested)

Millfields bay was full of stockies - all 2lb and around 8 -10ft deep, after 6 or 8 fish each we decided to move again - searching out better quality resident fish. We dropped in to the small deep bay just before Millfields ( by the dam) and started picking better quality fish up. My lad had a couple of residents over 3lb and a cracker just over 4lb. Again we had follows from big browns in the 4 to 6lb class but couldn't get them to take.

Last knockings and we decided to hit Millfield's island again targeting those big browns we had seen.

But despite 3 drifts we never even got a follow so called it a day at 5.30pm with around 30 fish to the boat - given the conditions I though it had fished tremendously well.

My Wife had a more relaxing day and opted to fish"on the drop" with a 12ft Fast tip 3 hare's ears on the droppers and a Foam Daddy on the point "Washing Line" style . She finished up with 7 well mended rainbows and not one under 3lb.

Clearly the better fish falling to the more natural approach - although if there had been a touch more wind or colour in the water then I'm pretty confident those big browns would have pulled back ;-) as they were definitely interested

A great day, and a great weekend. With a lot of good fish, the back end should be pretty special on Carsington and I think there's a real chance of a good brown or two if you target them off the weedbeds.

A few photo's of our day below

Last edited:

GEK79

We decided to have a weekend away for a change and fish waters we don't usually visit that frequently.

Friday and it was Blithfield, 24c , 3mph winds and not a cloud in the sky.

Water was a "tea stained" colour with around 7ft visibility

Started off on "Dries" by the causeway as there were a few fish moving, my lad picked up 3 and I lost one but that was it for the first 2 hours. I then changed to a 12ft Slow Tip with 2 foam daddies on the droppers and a small Tequila booby on the point, a long cast, one pull to " pop" the flies and straighten everything out then just keep in touch ...Starting at Watery Lane and slowly drifting down to Dougies we picked up around a dozen fish each in around 3 hours - nothing big and all recent stockies of around 1.5lb.....a good day considering the conditions

Saturday
Sounds enjoyable Rob.. 👍👍

Rob Edmunds

Screenshot_20210607-160851_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20210607-160825_Photos.jpg
image.jpg
Screenshot_20210607-160803_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20210607-160756_Photos.jpg

Whitehackle

Thank you for the write up, is was a good read.

I like Carsington, it's a nice place. I had heard that is has been hard going this season. But on your report I might give it a go soon.

Rob Edmunds

A friend who fishes Carsington regularly told me the same...." its hard going" - we must have just caught it right at the weekend. .....I cant fault the fishing, facilities or the staff all very good.

My personal thoughts are that Carsington is a very deep water and it takes longer for it to warm up so the start of the season I'd expect to be difficult especially if the weather is unkind. ( I only ever fish it from mid May onwards)

Like most reservoirs I think there are vast areas of water that don't hold many fish, so it's better to concentrate on the known holding area's.......we simply fished the "drop offs" and stayed on this feature no matter where we were around the reservoir.

I also think ( based on watching other anglers fishing) that many are fishing too high in the water ( ie fishing a floater and retrieving straight away)........I think that the majority of the fish were at least 8-10ft deep and as the day got warmer they dropped slightly deeper still

My wife also confirmed that the majority of her fish were caught in the last 1/3rd of the retrieve once the line had bedded in and dropped a little, again her fish like ours were hooked in the top lip suggesting they had come up from deeper water to take the fly and turn down on it.

I'm planning to go back again, probably towards the end of the season as I fully expect those big browns to play ball, if it was closer I'd fish it a lot more.

Latest posts