Cassette reel advice please

JoeOh

…ay? Reels are not almost all Chinese.

Off the top of my head in no particular order - Sage, Hardy, Hatch, Nautilus, Abel, Ross, Galvan, Baur, Tibor, Einerrson, Waterworks Lamson, Danielson, to name but a few.

….should you really be advising anyone, as you don’t seem to know anything?
Crikey !, is that your collection or are you Farlows in disguise....
I have a Sage I really like, along with a System 2.

LukeNZ

Crikey !, is that your collection or are you Farlows in disguise....
I have a Sage I really like, along with a System 2.
No, am mainly just wide spool Hardy perfects, in various sizes. They are great for my trout spey rods, with good capacity, full frame, and are nicely weighted for longer rods. I will never need anything else.

Gdog

If you're on a low budget, look at Maxcatch. This is probably a Greys rip-off.

They're Chinese - but then almost all reels are now - Snowbee is a supply 'partner of Maxcatch.
Ive owned a Spectre for nearly 5 years and can't fault it, light and very well made. The cassette is pushed off the spool rather than twisting or pulling, there are no instructions given with the Snowbee either, I posted about this about 2 months ago with photos and instructions.

Looking at the pictures of the Maxcatch cassette reel, I'm quite sure this Maxcatch reel uses the same spools as the Snowbee Spectre and Onyx reel. The standard Spectre is exactly the same as the Maxcatch LD expert large arbour reel.

3lbgrayling

The standard Airflo switch is a realiable reel with good spools/price.Might be getting discontinued but the spools fit the pro as well.and they're are plenty of spools out there.Recomended.

Jim

Tangled

…ay? Reels are not almost all Chinese.
Yes they are.
Off the top of my head
Exactly.
in no particular order - Sage, Hardy, Hatch, Nautilus, Abel, Ross, Galvan, Baur, Tibor, Einerrson, Waterworks Lamson, Danielson, to name but a few.
Did you notice that the OP is not in the premium market? For him a Snowbee (made in China) is too expensive.

Off the top of my head, reels made in China; Orvis, Greys, SKB, Snowbee, Guidline, Maxcatch, Piscifun, Shakespeare, Leeda, Tand, Cheeky. I'd guess at Airflo and any sub £100 - ie mass-market, ie most reels.

When not made in China many premium brands are also made in the Far East. My Hardy Ultralite salmon reel (also a cassette btw) is made in South Korea as are Loop and Douglas. TFO and Redington reels are South Korean.

At least some of the Lamson reels that you say are not Chinese are made "overseas", I'm going to say the Far East to cover their embarrassment (they won't say more).

When reels are not manufactured in the Far East they often use Far Eastern materials so your Sage reel uses Korean aircraft grade aluminium.
….should you really be advising anyone, as you don’t seem to know anything?
Ditto. Read what is written, take a breath, grow up and try to quit jumping up and down just because you see my name, it looks juvenile.

Last edited:

Tangled

Why buy a rip off for £50 when you can buy an original Greys GTS 500 for between £55 - £59?
Fair point, haven't checked Greys lately. My GTS 500 is 5 years old and still going strong. At that price it's a great buy, if a bit heavy. I certainly wouldn't have it for a #5 rod.

NoviceLes

I guess it comes down to the Snowbee Onyx (with 4 spools) or the Airflo Switch (with 5 spools), although reading on the internet some people don't seem to like the Airflo reels?

NoviceLes

So I have discovered that the Snowbee Onyx is the Maxcatch Cassette reel - made at the same factory in China. No Maxcatch cassette 5/6 weight available in the UK, and a month to ship from China. So it will have to be a Snowbee Onyx or the Airflo Switch - is the Airflow made in China too?

Tangled

is the Airflow made in China too?
My bet would be yes. With very few exceptions, if it's a two figure price it's going to be Far East with odds on China. But maybe someone that has one can see what, if anything, is written on its box.

anzac

It's your choice of course, but how many of us recommended the Grey's GTS 500 and have you seen its reviews (5 stars on Angling Direct)?

jc123

I was concerned that the GTS500 might be a little heavy for my Agility 2 9ft 6# rod.

One review stated:
It's also on the heavy side, so can unbalance lighter rods a bit.

Another stated:
Great quality but very heavy and may unbalance your setup

the greys is a great reel at its price, i use one (a 5/6/7) mainly on a #8 gr60 rod which balances perfect, and sometimes on a #7 gr40, i do have a 9'6" #6 agilty 2 and although ive not tried it on the agility i would think it would be a bit heavy. the gts would be prob 30g heavier than what i use on that rod, and my 9'6" is heavier and longer than your 9'.
not knocking the gts as otherwise its a great cassette reel

pentlandflyman

I know a good few folk that use the Airflo switch and i've not heard a bad word from any of them, spools are cheap and available, £70 ish from most places and 5 spools in total and it comes in a nice reel bag.

The Greys GTS500 is nice as well for a budget reel, three spools in total and a reel bag, spools are £10 each so works out a bit more expensive if you need a few more.

I would opt for the Airflo switch personally ;-)

NoviceLes

I am leaning towards the Airflo, but am also trying to find out when the SKB Cassette II reels are going to be available again.

pentlandflyman

I am leaning towards the Airflo, but am also trying to find out when the SKB Cassette II reels are going to be available again.
Are SKB still going ? Haven't seen them on here for a long time, I bought a few of their big fly cases which were cracking.

peal man

There are also the Greys QRS and Greys GTS500. Maybe anybody use these.
Bye
Steff
Had the Greys GTS500, quite large and heavy.I also found spool changing slightly awkward.
Ideal for reservoir fishing though, and they can be picked up on auction sites around £45.