Cassette reel advice please

JCP

In this thread you received some advice regarding Airflo reels from a chap who apart from a wealth of knowledge spends a lot of time on the water catching a ''troot''.I would take the advice and get fishing.I left a clue...😉

JP

LukeNZ

Yes they are.

Exactly.

Did you notice that the OP is not in the premium market? For him a Snowbee (made in China) is too expensive.

Off the top of my head, reels made in China; Orvis, Greys, SKB, Snowbee, Guidline, Maxcatch, Piscifun, Shakespeare, Leeda, Tand, Cheeky. I'd guess at Airflo and any sub £100 - ie mass-market, ie most reels.

When not made in China many premium brands are also made in the Far East. My Hardy Ultralite salmon reel (also a cassette btw) is made in South Korea as are Loop and Douglas. TFO and Redington reels are South Korean.

At least some of the Lamson reels that you say are not Chinese are made "overseas", I'm going to say the Far East to cover their embarrassment (they won't say more).

When reels are not manufactured in the Far East they often use Far Eastern materials so your Sage reel uses Korean aircraft grade aluminium.

Ditto. Read what is written, take a breath, grow up and try to quit jumping up and down just because you see my name, it looks juvenile.
....just more uninformed waffle, as usual.

NoviceLes

Thanks to everyone who contributed advice - I now have an Airflo Switch. I haven't fished with it yet but it seems nicely made, although the plastic spools seem a bit cheap & cheerful. A nice quiet reel and a sensitive drag.