Casting advice: line twisting around tip of rod

mjo

Hopefully one of you would be kind enough to help with this one please:

I've been casting for years and 'reasonably' well - can normally get it to where I want it....that said, yesterday, while casting a sinking line (it was very windy) I noticed the line kept getting looped around the tip of the rod- poor photo but you can see what I mean. Is this the wind causing this, bad technique, or both?

Thanks in advance

1591011836393.png

BobP

As you say, not the best photo but it looks more like you've taken the line around the rod tip between two of the guides to me. Not uncommon and I daresay we've all done it at some time. Certainly b*ggers up your casting!

PaulD

Clearly, at a point in the casting stroke you have created a slack line, most likely at the point between the back cast and the forward cast. Perhaps as a result of an involuntary movement, 'building up' to making the forward cast. Having created the slack, the wind will have contrived to wrap the slack loop around the rod between the rings before the forward cast has begun.

mjo

Cheers - it kept happening.....the kids threaded the line that day so I'm wondering now:mad:...

Many thanks

PaulD

.....the kids threaded the line that day so I'm wondering now:mad:...
Mmmm . . . when you say it kept happening . . . I'm going to give you a very 'technical' piece of casting advice -
1. Remove the reel and line from your rod.
2. Separate the top section where the problem was evident - taking care not to twist the joint as you remove the section.
3. Find an open space where yourself and your children won't be observed or commented upon by passers by.
4. Get the children to repeatedly count the number of rings on the top section . . . I am a junior school teacher and I can vouch for the learning effectiveness of repetition.
5. Show them that the correct way to line a rod is to double over the fly line before threading through rings as it stops the line slipping backwards.
6. Conduct a plenary ie. reinforce the learning message by beating them soundly with the top section of your rod while chasing them around the open space where you won't be observed by passers by!

BobP

A trifle extreme from PaulD though doubtless amusing.

When I'm instructing youngsters and getting them to thread the line through the rod guides I always make them hold the rod about a quarter of the way down with the butt on the ground when the line is threaded. Then pull on the line outside the tip ring to get a bend in the rod. At that point it becomes obvious if that crossover has happened. I do it myself as well because there is nothing more frustrating than to make up the whole rig with line, leader and three flies only to discover..............??!!!

PaulD

I'm not a teacher but I found praise works a treat with my kids 👍
Al
Absolutely, 'Praise where praise is due', is a fundamental aspect of teaching and praise is a lasting 'reward' for a job well done.

However, ruining your Dad's fishing is a fundamental beating offense!

speytime

It looks to me like the line has been threaded around the rod, did you find it odd/tight to cast?

@PaulD If you let a kid set the rod up and don't check it over who's to blame 🤔

Al

Absolutely, 'Praise where praise is due', is a fundamental aspect of teaching and praise is a lasting 'reward' for a job well done.

GEK79

I'd say these days the kids are likely to take the top section of the rod off you and give you a beating whilst videoing.. However I hope the problem is solved on next outing..

JCP

Do you know I have seen this ''tip wrap phenomenon'' happen before on a correctly lined up outfit.Only boat fishing funnily enough.How it happens I have no idea.Have to take the offending loop/wrap back outside the tip and pull the main line outside the tip straight out taking care not to bend the tip and somehow please don't ask it comes right.Has to be a slack line twist I guess.It happens somehow in the front taper when using long reservoir fishing leaders.One of those line memory mysteries I shouldn't wonder..:unsure: or just bad angling:eek:

JP