Casting and fishing day at Exe Valley Fishery

Pete T

Trade Member
On Saturday 10th December Exe Valley Fishery in Somerset will be holding a pre Christmas bash that will include demos and instruction on both lake and river fishing from fishing guides and instructors Nick Hart and Pete Tyjas.

The day also includes a 2 fish ticket and unlimited catch and release too. We will also be on hand to offer help or assistance if needed or if not we'll be happy to net your fish for you!

If you haven't visited the fishery recently it has had some heavy work on it removing silt and making it deeper all the way in to the bank.

There will also be fly tying and mince pies too.

The cost of the day is £45 and is limited to just 10 people.

PM me for more details or if you would like to book a place.

dave b

Pete

Today's event was excellent and very well organised. The fishery is a credit to Nick and I wasn't aware that there was grayling fishing on site, on the Exe.

Although the weather wasn't ideal, who'd have thought that fish would be caught on dries, nymphs, buzzer and lures shallow in the middle of December.

The catch average was high and considering some left early, the fishing was exceptional for this time of year.

It's the first time I've been to Nicks fishery and I was very impressed with the set up, the lakes and quality of the fish which are some of the hardest fighting trout I've caught, not to mention the size of some of them.

All in all a superb day and if Nick holds a follow up event' I'd recommend it to anybody.

Last edited:

dave b

Fred

I wish I could say I caught it fairly :eek:mg:

Unfortunately a young angler hooked the fish in the morning while fishing a buzzer under a buoyant indicator fly and was broken on the initial run.

In the afternoon after the casting demo's I went back to the car and changed to a new lightweight rod which only arrived yesterday. I noticed the indicator pop up as the fish cruised past me while fishing and I managed to cast over it and hook it on the second attempt. It was a very well conditioned fish and put up a superb fight. After a quick weigh and photo it was released and swam away strongly, (9lbs 3oz),

In time it is possible that the fish may have been able to dislodge the hook and line that it was tethered to, however I was pleased to hook it so that I could remove the hook and line removing the element of chance, (the hook was barbless but had a good hold deep inside the mouth).

Last edited:

Pete T

Trade Member
Thanks dave, great to meet you and pleased you enjoyed the day.

I really enjoyed myself too and to help anglers a little.

We'll be looking at doing some more days so keep an eye out.

I'd echo what you'd say about the fishery, Nick has spent a lot of time and money to ensure that anglers are getting a lake in tip top condition and fish that are of a great standard too.