Casting from a boat

flyfisher147

Hello, I fly fish off a boat for a few years now using a 10 foot 7 weight I wouldn’t say my cast is the worst I still catch fish. I cast the best when there’s a good breeze behind me and often only cast the length of the head usually delivering it in one false cast from picking up a bit of line on the water to load it hen a false cast back and then it delivers. On calm conditions I usually don’t like fishing in then as I find it hard as I find it harder to present the fly. The line sometimes splashed down and when I’m false casting I try my best but after two false casts the line feels heavy and I sometimes lose control and the cast just crashes down. The line was a present, Rio Grande. From the sounds of it it may be over lined and it maybe an 8 instead of a 7 hence why I think the line feels heavy after a couple of false casts. I apologise if I haven’t been very clear and ask away If you need any further information to diagnose the possible issue.

flyfisher147

In a boat the wind is mainly behind you (fishing on drift) but problems occur when the line doesn't straighten out sufficiently behind you before the forward cast. If you are splashing the line down heavy try casting with the rod pointing higher when releasing line on the forward cast.
Perfect thank you. A lot of the time it does go right I probably lose focus sometimes. I might try someone else’s fly line just in case but I have a hunch I’m on the right track with your reply. Thank you 👍

speytime

The rio grande line is a spey line its not really designed for overhead casting, the head weight will be circa 16/18g it should be 12g I'm not surprised it feels heavy and splashy, you need a suitable 7wt line.

Last edited:

flyfisher147

The rio grande line is a spey line its not designed for overhead casting, the head weight will be circa 16/18g it should be 12g I'm not surprised it feels heavy and splashy, you need a suitable 7wt line.
Thanks for the advice. What line would you recommend? I think the rod is stiff enough but may not be as stiff as I thought. I just weighed the head there and it’s around the 18 gram mark

thanks again

Last edited:

speytime

Thanks for the advice. What line would you recommend? I think the rod is stiff enough but may not be as stiff as I thought.

thanks again
There's numerous lines to choose from other members will have different opinions but imo, the Barrio Gt 90 is good all round line £30, the snowbee xs is a good line £55.
If you're not in a hurry and money is an issue the maxcatch gold £10 is a good line, talon £8 from ebay are also good floating lines if you are in a hurry.
If you want a line specific to dries or lures whatever it's worth mentioning then folks can advise you better.

Al

Last edited:

flyfisher147

There's numerous lines to choose from other members will have different opinions but imo, the Barrio Gt 90 is good all round line £30, the snowbee xs is a good line £55.
If you're not in a hurry and money is an issue the maxcatch gold £10 is a good line, talon £8 from ebay are also good floating lines if you are in a hurry.
If you want a line specific to dries or lures whatever it's worth mentioning then folks can advise you better.

Al
You’re a star Al, thank you

JCP

I fish a couple of Rio Grand Lines One fairly old but still good in a 5wt and an In Touch series 6wt.They were as I understand it designed for fast action rods.Mine cast really well.The 5 usually on a 10ft Loomis Streamdance GLX HLS 5wt.I too fish from the boat with this outfit and the line flies.The newer 6wt is used on a couple of rods with the same result.These lines are pretty much a line size heavier than standard AFTM scale so it does seem like you might have an 8wt which would explain why it behaves like a chain mace at times. Just a thought.

JP

karlsson

The rio grande line is a spey line its not really designed for overhead casting, the head weight will be circa 16/18g it should be 12g I'm not surprised it feels heavy and splashy, you need a suitable 7wt line.
The Rio grand has a compound bullet taper, the exact opposite of what most like in a spey taper. It is indeed designede specifically for overhead casting 🙂
Having a chunky bit in the first 14 feet, and being a line class heavier than standard can have a impact on delivery, especially if one doesn't aim to straighten the cast above water.

12 gram is only for the first 30 feet of line, at 38 feet head length, it should weigh more.

Cheers
Lasse

speytime

The Rio grand has a compound bullet taper, the exact opposite of what most like in a spey taper. It is indeed designede specifically for overhead casting 🙂
Having a chunky bit in the first 14 feet, and being a line class heavier than standard can have a impact on delivery, especially if one doesn't aim to straighten the cast above water.

12 gram is only for the first 30 feet of line, at 38 feet head length, it should weigh more.

Cheers
Lasse
Thanks my mistake, the line is 18g over 38ft, 6ft is rear taper so the bulk of the 18g is in that 32ft which = a heavy feeling line, no?

Cheers Al

Gerryb

Hello, I fly fish off a boat for a few years now using a 10 foot 7 weight I wouldn’t say my cast is the worst I still catch fish. I cast the best when there’s a good breeze behind me and often only cast the length of the head usually delivering it in one false cast from picking up a bit of line on the water to load it hen a false cast back and then it delivers. On calm conditions I usually don’t like fishing in then as I find it hard as I find it harder to present the fly. The line sometimes splashed down and when I’m false casting I try my best but after two false casts the line feels heavy and I sometimes lose control and the cast just crashes down. The line was a present, Rio Grande. From the sounds of it it may be over lined and it maybe an 8 instead of a 7 hence why I think the line feels heavy after a couple of false casts. I apologise if I haven’t been very clear and ask away If you need any further information to diagnose the possible issue.
I use a Rio Grande #7 on a 10' #7 Sage X , for Wetfly with a team of 3 , fishing from a boat here in Ireland. It's a great balanced outfit for this application, despite not having been designed for it, and I wouldn't false cast with it when pulling wets from a drifting boat, as there's no need IMHO. I wouldn't use it in calm conditions however , horses for courses maybe applies ?.

speytime

I wouldn't false cast with it when pulling wets from a drifting boat, as there's no need IMHO.
My intro to wet fly fishing from a drifting boat I was only working the head +6/8ft running line, it was cast out then 3,4 maybe 5 pulls lift and cast back out, there's always sufficient line outside the tip to load the rod without false casting.
I don't know what that method is called, short lining maybe?
Is that how your going about avoiding false casts.

Thanks Al

tenet

My experience of Lough fishing from a drifting boat is that you do not need to cast to the horizon but just lift into the back cast and shoot maybe 30 or 40ft. Most salmon seem to come to the dibbled fly in any event and often no more than 10ft from the boat.

original cormorant

My intro to wet fly fishing from a drifting boat I was only working the head +6/8ft running line, it was cast out then 3,4 maybe 5 pulls lift and cast back out, there's always sufficient line outside the tip to load the rod without false casting.

Thanks Al
Funny you should mention that as last night I was sorting through old gear and came across the remains (2 parts) of the line that was my go to short-lining line until it met a trolling motor. I measured its profile which was 6 ft of front taper, 18 ft of belly and 6 ft of rear taper. I can't remember how many pulls but it was hold with the bob fly dabbling then back and shoot. I don't recall any other line that worked so well for shortlining.

Gerryb

Thanks Al
Pretty much , but I'd be getting 6 to 10 pulls ,as the Grande is a flyer on a good rod.I'd recommend one to anyone who pulls wets from a boat, and don't be put off by it being a "heavy" line , the presentation is fine , better than a fast inter' IMHO .
PS ,
and the Airflo Xceed ain't bad for that job either for the money ;)

Last edited: