Casting In The Park

Philogic

I need some help from the more imaginative anglers out there.I am going to start practising in my local park so I need some clever answers to the inevitable crass/idiotic comments I am bound to get!

eddleston123

You will get plenty witty (meant to be) comments.

That didn't bother me when I did this a few years ago to test a couple of lines and rods out.

Wouldn't do it again though, due to the amount of dog sh#te that 'still' litters the park!

Douglas

ohanzee

No worries with this, you will soon get used to the 'have you caught any grass carp yet' comments, most are more interested in watching and some will want to ask about it, depending on the type of passer by you are somewhere on the range between odd and fascinating to them.

don1971

“Have you got a copy of fly fishing by jr hartley?”

“No. Have you got any funny one liners?”

I can’t remember the film, but the best approch to these types is ‘smile and wave’.

tiddler1

Go early morning, the kids are in bed until about 11 a.m, then on to their various gadgets. Just smile sweetly at any other crass remarks, you see, they think their remark is hilarious. I go myself so I know what you will be in for, apart from the possible dog ***** on your line.

G

guest54

Just tell them your captain of the British fly swatting team and your practicing for the world championships, which of course you have won gold at for the last five years.:goodcast: :hail::goodcast::hail::goodcast::hail::goodcast::hail::goodcast::hail::cheer2:

fredaevans

'Grass casting' is not unusual at all but you need to make a grass leader. Basicly its a leader with 4 to 6 inch 'tails' at a right angle from the base leader.

Longer the grass the shorter the side pieces. The down side is it works but grass casting will ruin the leader for actual fishing.

glas y dorlan

Have you any contacts at the local cricket club? I was lucky as I was the groundsman at my local one. No comments and no dog s**t.

ohanzee

'Grass casting' is not unusual at all but you need to make a grass leader. Basicly its a leader with 4 to 6 inch 'tails' at a right angle from the base leader.

Longer the grass the shorter the side pieces. The down side is it works but grass casting will ruin the leader for actual fishing.
Should point out this is for roll and spey casting, and essentially simulates the drag you get from water to form the Dloop.

The straight edges of football pitches are handy to practice tracking, you can cast along the line and drop the back cast on the line behind, I used to position myself with a goal post behind to force my back cast higher, if you can get a 50' cast over a goal post on the back cast without catching it you are doing good, its hard, my favourite routine was hoops scattered between 30 and 80', if you can pick up from 40' and shoot to 80' then back to 30' changing directions and getting it accurately in the hoop each time it gives you an intuitive confidence when fishing.

bobnudd

I do this all the time I go early to avoid the kids. You will still get the comedians asking if had any just tell them two blue bottles and a daddy long legs. When they look at you puzzled, say well it is fly fishing

007fish

Have done this quite a few times. Not much interest when I was doing it early - depends where you go. If there are tourists around they will probably love it and you might be asked to do a photo.

ohanzee

Have done this quite a few times. Not much interest when I was doing it early - depends where you go. If there are tourists around they will probably love it and you might be asked to do a photo.
I been asked to 'pose cast' a few times by tourists, once bus full of Chinese thought I was what they were stopping for, after photographs they all thanked me, makes a nice change from the local grunters.

Fly Guy

Be aware of over zealous "jobs worth" park staff who might try and stop you! I had this when living in Edinburgh and casting in Inverleith Park. I pointed out it was no less dangerous compared to people power kite flying and skate boarding in the park!

fishing hobo

Inevitable someone asks a stereotypical question. "have you caught anything yet!?". Just say "yeah, I caught your attention". Some people are genuinely fascinated by some bloke casting a line back and forth and I even had a flyfisher come up and I got to know a local club on the door step. You will just get used to the comments.

geenomad

Yep. Different country, same comments and varying levels of interest. Gender correlates with interest and manners. Strong correlation between politeness and the mode of transport, bike or pedestrian. Males on bicycles are the worst. I'm a great believer in tonal reciprocity. :) Middle aged men in lycra really shouldn't throw stones. :D

Cheers
Mark

anzac

Be aware of over zealous "jobs worth" park staff who might try and stop you! I had this when living in Edinburgh and casting in Inverleith Park. I pointed out it was no less dangerous compared to people power kite flying and skate boarding in the park!
Or the old busy body who calls the constabulary about 'some strange man whipping something in the park'.

Latest posts