Casting practice; Do you ? Dont you? Is it nuts? (and thumbs up BFCC)

Whinging pom

I recently posted on a thread about casting a query about casting practice and there was little response apart from a bit of negativity. Ive noticed one thread posted on here and no response at all, so i guess this will be a short thread!

I find this hard to get my head round because its one of those things that can really improve the whole experience of fishing. AND I really enjoy casting
I love seeing good loops form and aiming at little targets and just working through a few drills. I find it endlessly fascinating and so frustrating when its wrong but when it comes good Wow!
Even getting a little bit longer each time is almost a guilty pleasure, though distance really isn’t my thing for what I do , I must admit the thought of being able to control a good amount of line in the air is really very appealing.

Casting a fly line was part of the main attraction of this form of angling ( for me anyway), But practice is so little talked about on here. Id just like to see if other people do or don’t and what the rationale is?
How often do you practice ? Do you do little drills or just stretch out the line a bit? Do you take advice or have lessons? Do you follow a programme? Or do you think its nuts and unnecessary?

If you’ve been tempted to do it what’s holding you back? If you no longer practice, why not?

When I started fishing the little brook seriously ten or twelve years ago, coming from still waters, I had a 7’10 and at the end of an evening of short little casts, in the dusk light back at my car, as a matter of course. Id stand on the grass for 15-20 mins, extend my stoke and haul and just shoot some line for the sake of using my casting stroke and stretching the arm and tuning the timing. Gaining some confidence with the satisfaction.

When I went 6 foot this stopped.Now after years of honing the habits of a tiny rod and lack of practice, as I've written elsewhere, often, my casting is pants!
As the seasons running down I’ve started practice again, 20-40 mins every couple of days in a local park doing some drills and concentrating on loops, Its all but close season and I’m hoping this is something I can really improve ready for next season, and it’s really satisfying and rewarding.
Surely I’m not in a tiny minority here?!

And of any our really good casters/ instructors would like to share their personal drills, though probably not relevant for the lower skilled amongst us im sure it would be fascinating.

Last weekend I went to a meeting of the BFCC, (what a fantastic welcoming bunch of people by the way you feel straight at home... Brilliant).

I just went as a spectator hoping to watch some really good casters and study what they were doing and maybe pick up the odd tip, weather wasn’t great and I think there was probably only a couple of dozen people there,

Despite just thinking I was going to watch, there were casting instructors there who you could go to for help, As there were only me and one other chap who were moderate to poor and in need of help, and at least double the amount of instructors on hand , I missed the casting comps as I was coerced into casting instruction, I had about 6 hours of one to one casting instruction with Mark Surtees who is superb, It was priceless and its such a fantastic resource yet no one seems to be using it, except the die hard members of the BFFC. If you see it listed next year just go, take advantage,and reap the rewards!

(Oh and by the way seeing James9118 and mr zhu casting is something to behold, honestly,worth the trip for that alone)

See,this is the point. As a small stream fisher I am probably the last of the many types of fly fishermen on here that this should appeal to, Surely you guys on bigger rivers or especially on the banks of reservoirs would really benefit from dedicated practice. But I never see it mentioned or discussed, its almost like its tabou!

Do You ?

( Ps please no spillage from other threads, lets turn over a new page and talk to each other with respect and with no prejudice or baggage of past postings.).

Last edited:

GEK79

I recently posted on a thread about casting a query about casting practice and there was little response apart from a bit of negativity. Ive noticed one thread posted on here and no response at all, so i guess this will be a short thread!

I find this hard to get my head round because its one of those things that can really improve the whole experience of fishing. AND I really enjoy casting
I love seeing good loops form and aiming at little targets and just working through a few drills. I find it endlessly fascinating and so frustrating when its wrong but when it comes good Wow!
Even getting a little bit longer each time is almost a guilty pleasure, though distance really isn’t my thing for what I do , I must admit the thought of being able to control a good amount of line in the air is really very appealing.

Casting a fly line was part of the main attraction of this form of angling ( for me anyway), But practice is so little talked about on here. Id just like to see if other people do or don’t and what the rationale is?
How often do you practice ? Do you do little drills or just stretch out the line a bit? Do you take advice or have lessons? Do you follow a programme? Or do you think its nuts and unnecessary?

If you’ve been tempted to do it what’s holding you back? If you no longer practice, why not?

When I started fishing the little brook seriously ten or twelve years ago, coming from still waters, I had a 7’10 and at the end of an evening of short little casts, in the dusk light back at my car, as a matter of course. Id stand on the grass for 15-20 mins, extend my stoke and haul and just shoot some line for the sake of using my casting stroke and stretching the arm and tuning the timing. Gaining some confidence with the satisfaction.

When I went 6 foot this stopped.Now after years of honing the habits of a tiny rod and lack of practice, as I've written elsewhere, often, my casting is pants!
As the seasons running down I’ve started practice again, 20-40 mins every couple of days in a local park doing some drills and concentrating on loops, Its all but close season and I’m hoping this is something I can really improve ready for next season, and it’s really satisfying and rewarding.

And of any our really good casters/ instructors would like to share their personal drills, though probably not relevant for the lower skilled amongst us im sure it would be fascinating.

Last weekend I went to a meeting of the BFFC, (what a fantastic welcoming bunch of people by the way you feel straight at home... Brilliant).

I just went as a spectator hoping to watch some really good casters and study what they were doing and maybe pick up the odd tip, weather wasn’t great and I think there was probably only a couple of dozen people there,

Despite just thinking I was going to watch, there were casting instructors there who you could go to for help, As there were only me and one other chap who were moderate to poor and in need of help, and at least double the amount of instructors on hand , I missed the casting comps as I was coerced into casting instruction, I had about 6 hours of one to one casting instruction with Mark Surtees who is superb, It was priceless and its such a fantastic resource yet no one seems to be using it, except the die hard members of the BFFC. If you see it listed next year just go, take advantage,and reap the rewards!

(Oh and by the way seeing James9118 and mr zhu casting is something to behold, honestly,worth the trip for that alone)

See,this is the point. As a small stream fisher I am probably the last of the many types of fly fishermen on here that this should appeal to, Surely you guys on bigger rivers or especially on the banks of reservoirs would really benefit from dedicated practice. But I never see it mentioned or discussed, its almost like its tabou!

Do You ?

( Ps please no spillage from other threads, lets turn over a new page and talk to each other with respect and with no prejudice or baggage of past postings.).
When there is a swirling wind I like to practice as most times I'm at the Lough the wind swirls in a bowl..
I may look like an eejit but practising on the green outside my house can only help..
That's my thoughts..
Gary

Tangled

Fly casting is a minority sport within a minority sport. I know very few who are interested in casting for its own sake - though I do actually know one guy who casts but does not fish.

I suspect that for most, casting is a means to an end rather than an end in itself and the idea of practicing casting without fishing seems rather daft.

It's possible - actually very possible - to catch a lot of fish without knowing anything much about casting, particularly on still waters. You get some basic instruction and then get on with it.

After that it depends on whether you catch the bug.

geenomad

Hi WP
Doubt you are going to be knocked down and trampled in the rush. I've had my say, at length, about practice, on my website.

Angling, fly fishing, casting student, casting improvement, casting practice - they are all on the downslope of the bell curve and out onto the tail.

Cheers
Mark

Last edited:

Whinging pom

Hi WP
Doubt you are going to knocked down and trampled in the rush. I've had my say, at length, about practice, on my website.

Angling, fly fishing, casting student, casting improvement, casting practice - they are all on the downslope of the bell curve and out onto the tail.

Cheers
Mark
Sad isn't it, When I was hooked it would have been easier and more accessible to worm or use spinners for trout, But it was seeing casting a fly line that drew me in.
You've obviously got the bug big style and keep it in balance with your fishing The awareness of coming back from trips and needing to re-hone the skills, even have other people look over your cast for advice. I like the drills you put in your blog and the issue about minimising the power in the stroke. I could really relate to that.

Whinging pom

When there is a swirling wind I like to practice as most times I'm at the Lough the wind swirls in a bowl..
I may look like an eejit but practising on the green outside my house can only help..
That's my thoughts..
Gary
Hold your head up! I get dozens of dog walkers pass me, they are never as interested as i feared they would be. Im just ignored as a nut.
I was out in a howling wind tonight for half an hour with a 2wt adjusting the triangle for the wind conditions ( attempting to anyway) and casting in all four directions with it. On each shoulder. Its great , it happens on the water so its a confidence boosting gift when it presents itself for practice!

fishing hobo

Last weekend I went to a meeting of the BFFC, (what a fantastic welcoming bunch of people by the way you feel straight at home... Brilliant).

Do You ?

Mark Surtees is a really nice bloke.
I practice in the park from time to time but not as much as 2yrs ago. I was motivated by a member who used to be on here rookstorm and his mate brian_mcg. The Master Casting Instructors from FFI are amazing casters and I would love to cast like them. The only way to improve your casting is practice. Having practiced frequently, I am often the only one casting into a decent wind in my club. I wouldn't have been able to otherwise.
I find a couple of hours in the park casting is quite therapeutic and helps me de-stress.

ohanzee

I used to properly, now it's just a warm evening in the garden with a glass of wine.

Dingbat

When I'm very drunk in an empty campsite somewhere in Europe. Otherwise see post 9.

What I don't like about grass casting is the lack of features.

Whinging pom

Mark Surtees is a really nice bloke.
His teaching methods of getting you to tell him what you were going to do before you do it i found a revelation. Having to mindfully consider what the process was , so he could gently correct missusumptions without blowing your confidence was fabulous. His ability to recognise which joan wullf lesson you'd watched was unnerving and then say " bless her she's lovely... but i wish she wouldn't tell people that!' :)
Sadly the day ended in a howling wind and driving rain and I was really losing the plot,
He was incredibly patient.
Brian I am sure I met at a CLA game fair years ago, he was a lovely bloke and really passionate about his teaching.
Glad to know there's another one out there doing it!

Whinging pom

What I don't like about grass casting is the lack of features
then aim to whip the heads off the dandelions and daises' dear chap. Go into strummer mode!!
I used to properly, now it's just a warm evening in the garden with a glass of wine.
without being cheeky do you not feel the obvious talent you had/ have diminishing without practice or do you just not feel the need to keep up those standards?

Last edited:

wobbly face

Have done, now very seldom.
Was a football pitch just down street, great using the touchlines but it's now just a field full of dog sh!t. I did a bit of tight space casting practice and gauging what line went best with which rod down my drive earlier this year. Also, if the fishing is slow I will sometimes just go into casting mode for 10 mins or so, I find it better to practice in a real situation than on grass or down the drive.

fishing hobo

without being cheeky do you not feel the obvious talent you had/ have diminishing without practice or do you just not feel the need to keep up those standards?
You can pick it right up after a few minutes practicing. A few years ago I struggled to hit 75ft no matter what I did and I posted this on the forum. Now it comes up quite easily with little effort compared to the time I struggled. I practiced casting less this year than the last and I am casting better than last year. Once you know what you are doing you can think yourself through what you did correctly and what you did incorrectly.

fishing hobo

His ability to recognise which joan wullf lesson you'd watched was unnerving and then say " bless her she's lovely... but i wish she wouldn't tell people that!' :)
I bet you it is the power snap thingy, I hate that term too, just like punching the fwd cast.... It is easy to misunderstand.

ohanzee

I feel it hard, but much more when I go fishing and the line doesn't do what it used to, the commitment to continue improving stopped with me when I got good enough to do everything I needed to fish better, there comes a point where getting better becomes harder and harder, takes a lot to be seriously good and the improvement gets smaller and smaller, when you see someone cast well you know they worked hard for it.

ed_t

Do You ?

Well done for going and posting. Pay the membership fee of £20 or day fee of £15. No brainer. Join the club.

I guess now you've seen mind boggling casting, but equally had mind boggling coaching.

Just don't try the T38... really... it hurts.

Whinging pom

Have done, now very seldom.
Was a football pitch just down street, great using the touchlines but it's now just a field full of dog sh!t. I did a bit of tight space casting practice and gauging what line went best with which rod down my drive earlier this year. Also, if the fishing is slow I will sometimes just go into casting mode for 10 mins or so, I find it better to practice in a real situation than on grass or down the drive.
When I first learnt to fly cast I was living in a warehouse in a grubby area of nth London. I’d find rare strips of grass under street lamps in deserted industrial estates and practice into the dark. Touch lines sound fabulous as do goal areas !
I tried the canals too but the lighting was never as good, though the drunken abuse was more entertaining but a bit distracting.
It’s amazing what you’ll put up with when that obsession kicks in when you take to some new path.
I must admit I prefer to do some water too to keep in touch with that particular stickiness to line unique to it.
Well done for going and posting. Pay the membership fee of £20 or day fee of £15. No brainer. Join the club.

I guess now you've seen mind boggling casting, but equally had mind boggling coaching.

Just don't try the T38... really... it hurts.
I’ll take your word for it.
I’m way off trying T38 or any of the comps . To be honest the hardest thing was making a complete arse of myself with some horrendous casts and knowing the likes of James was 100 yards behind me and facing in my direction, but everyone was so kind and so welcoming that that particular hang up was soon banished.
It could so easily be really intimidating but it isnt.
I paid the £15 and what unbelievable value it is. I will now do the membership it’s peanuts for what you get in return.

Dingbat

then aim to whip the heads off the dandelions and daises' dear chap. Go into strummer mode!!

No wonder you need practice - you should be landing 28's on the head of a daisy at 70 feet so they don't even bend.

Whinging pom

No wonder you need practice - you should be landing 28's on the head of a daisy at 70 feet so they don't even bend.
I struggle to hit a lawn 70’!

I’m looking forward to the handy instructive video of you demonstrating that manoeuvre while scoffing a flute of Dom and narrated fluently in three languages while lady bat rolls her eyes and shuffles off camera left muttering profanities about the cruel hand of fate that lead her to such an existence!
Now that’s what I’d call a casting video!

Last edited: