casts hitting line!!

ohanzee

Absolutely agree but I think there is a tendency to couch stuff in pseudo-scientific terms, perhaps for marketing or credibility reasons. As an explanation it seems to work great when it is combined with a practical demonstration. As I have found to my cost a couple of times, people watch the demo not listen to the words.

Put that same explanation into a forum or book, then people read the words and focus on their meaning. If the cast had been called continual rod tip movement, it would have made for easier understanding but if the author believes that the physics is valid then we end up with years of debate.

The easiest way to settle the debate was for everyone involved have looked at the evidence Aitor provided. If the rod keeps the same shape bend all of the way around, the cast it is under constant tension. Having done that, it seems to me that tension is slowly released which stops the rod going into significant counterflex and reduces the chances of getting a tailing loop by avoiding getting a significant wave in the rod leg.

Vince please don't take it the wrong way, but some of us are concerned with people achieving things rather than the thing itself standing up to scientific analysis,
Sure we can learn to understand more fully, and casting has advanced massively through the involvement of physics, but it can also really confuse and inhibit simple human communication,

Your slow release and 'significant' counter flex is precisely what i mean by 'control' the stop and pause, effectively control the counter flex, we can certainly effect or influence it.

Guest666

Banned
Banned
Alan, please don't take this the wrong way but people were asking for video because your explanation did not make sense. Aitor even went as far as providing a video.

If you are only using the written word to communicate then the words have to be accurate. If I provide you with a recipe to make a cake using baked beans instead of eggs, you will be a bit disappointed if I then tell you that I used that word because beans and eggs are roughly the same shape.

torrotxo

Alan, please don't take this the wrong way but people were asking for video because your explanation did not make sense. Aitor even went as far as providing a video.
Those casts seemed to be irrelevant due to not being proper ovals, lack of smoothness or some other deficiencies that I am still waiting to be disclosed.

One last remark.
The irruption of internet years ago put in casting instructor hands an incredible tool to get deeper into casting knowledge with the possibility of communication in real time throughout the world. What we have done to this tool is burying it for good under mountains of ego. And right now it is impossible to exhume it.

ohanzee

If you are only using the written word to communicate then the words have to be accurate. If I provide you with a recipe to make a cake using baked beans instead of eggs, you will be a bit disappointed if I then tell you that I used that word because beans and eggs are roughly the same shape.

I don't have a video camera, and all you would see is a smoother cast, not what is happening in slow mo at the tip,
I'd hate to think those unable to film everything they describe are excluded from discussing casting,

You described it very well in your last post without a vid, and Craig clearly understood when he mentioned 8's and straights,

Its not a complicated or revolutionary thing.

ohanzee

Those casts seemed to be irrelevant due to not being proper ovals, lack of smoothness or some other deficiencies that I am still waiting to be disclosed

The was nothing wrong with your cast, it just didn't illustrate the point on constant tension, the Peter Hays vid was closer to what i was trying to communicate.

ohanzee

Smoother than what??

By the way, if you have any digital photo camera I am pretty sure that it has video built in.

I am perfectly happy to show you anything anytime, distance is a problem but the invitation is there anytime, i do not have a camera and i'm not actually in the habit of filming and uploading to communicate anyway,

Smoother? if i make a firm stop, then pause, in one cast, then in the next i decelerate more gradually and minimise the pause, what i get is the back cast flowing into the forward or vice versa,

If i make a habit of this, as i sometimes do, i get a smoother cast, than i do when i make a crisp stop and distinct pause,

Neither is right nor wrong, they have their uses and i'm fairly sure we all use them to varying degrees.