Catching Arctic Charr by Design From Deep Lochs

bobmiddlepoint

Charr are filter feeders having 16 gill rakers, to allow the filtering of things like Daph,nia,, some charr feed on the Bottom, some charr stay in a pigmy form, while others grow in a normal fashion, but , obviously they will take opportunities when offered, I have caught a number of the smaller charr on fly, in various lochs ,I offered my bit as a bit of info not an argument, so now you can all get your tobies out, give up tying Daphnia patterns, no doubt some one will give the dressing,:giggle: easker1

All info gratefully received, I wasn't aware we were having an argument ;-)
I'm only going to have limited time for this which is why I want to go deep for them, I won't be on the loch often enough to rely on chance encounters with charr high in the water.
The more I hear the more I'm convinced I'm going to fail but hey ho!

Andy

Charr are filter feeders having 16 gill rakers, to allow the filtering of things like Daph,nia,, some charr feed on the Bottom, some charr stay in a pigmy form, while others grow in a normal fashion, but , obviously they will take opportunities when offered, I have caught a number of the smaller charr on fly, in various lochs ,I offered my bit as a bit of info not an argument, so now you can all get your tobies out, give up tying Daphnia patterns, no doubt some one will give the dressing,:giggle: easker1
Thought that had already been done?
Blobby blobby blob!
regards
bert

BobP

When we backdrift at Farmoor we are getting down to around 30' which is about as deep as Farmoor gets. I know we have hit bottom because I hooked a piece of rag once and catching up on a bit of algal weed is not too unusual.

There was a phase back in the '80's of leadlining at Rutland for the big browns. That might work and would certainly get down to 60'+ depending on wind speed and how much backing you pay out. Don't try casting one of these, it's not a pleasant experience.

Cap'n Fishy

whales don't take tobies easker1
they would if there was a big, tight shoal of them!
Good point. Many whales hunt and eat small fish - from pilot whales (technically dolphins) to humpback whales (definitely true whales). Humpbacks focus on shoals, but I think the likes of pilot whales will pick out individuals, OK? So, it's not inconceivable you could get one to take a Toby. The question (apart from the ethics of it) is whether a metal Toby would fool a highly intelligent, highly sensory-equipped animal like a whale?

Coat... :whistle:

bobmiddlepoint

My pint about whales , a point not well made, was that whales are very big but sometimes feed on very small things.
There is also the example of orcas which can feed on anything from herring to seals and great white sharks.

The question (apart from the ethics of it) is whether a metal Toby would fool a highly intelligent, highly sensory-equipped animal like a whale?

I doubt you would fool them into thinking it was a fish but you might get them to take one anyway. Cats and dogs grab things which they know aren't food just for the fun of it. I guess whales would learn a bit quicker than trout that Tobys are best left alone!

Andy

Wee Jimmy

Good point. Many whales hunt and eat small fish - from pilot whales (technically dolphins) to humpback whales (definitely true whales). Humpbacks focus on shoals, but I think the likes of pilot whales will pick out individuals, OK? So, it's not inconceivable you could get one to take a Toby. The question (apart from the ethics of it) is whether a metal Toby would fool a highly intelligent, highly sensory-equipped animal like a whale?

Do you think they would take an Invicta.....:D

scobo

I guess whales would learn a bit quicker than trout that Tobys are best left alone!
Watched a program recently where a boat was longlining with baited hooks. Sperm whales were circeling the boat waiting for the fishermen to wind in the line. As soon they did, the whales dived down and plucked the fish from the hooks leaving not much more than a few heads and some bent hooks.
They're certainly not daft !

easker1

I wonder what weight line you would have to use, I think Mike Barrio should be in formed. I'm really pleased we weren't having an Argument, just a gentlemanly Discussion,I was just wondering about a Charr Toby, I do Know Humpback whales Take Fish around the Herring size and blue whales take Krill, I wonder what Wales will be Taking this coming week end( see how I changed the subject There?)🐳 easker1