Catching that fly

webblade

I arrived at the river yesterday and noted a good few rises more than usual. I could see small mayflies in the air but it was hard to make out the colour while they're in flight. Had a look around the stream banks for any that had landed and nothing. Proceded to throw on a small f fly and cast. No rises to my fly but still plenty around it. Started swiping at the mayflies trying to catch one in the hand and couldn't get one. Changed flies a couple more times and no rises to my flies. Becoming a bit disheartened a this stage because of all the activity but not for me I had a thought that maybe they were taking emergers. Looking through my box and notice one of the mayflies has landed on my sleeve. Pull out a little tan coloured soft hackle to match the mayfly on my sleeve and second cast I'm into a trout. Multiple fish to follow and I call my change to emergers a success. But what if that mayfly hadn't landed on my sleeve? I would have been guessing what soft hackle to throw on a may not have had much success. So when a hatch is on and you see mayflies in the air, can't find any on the bank, what do you do to get your hands on one? Small net perhaps?

Whinging pom

I used to carry in my pocket a entomology net , similar to what butterfly collectors use. I used to collect caddis while I was fishing for a nationwide scheme . It was really good for olives etc.I learnt heaps with it.
It folds over and collapses on a flexible Steel rim
You can get them from the NHBS book shop on line it’s called a small sweep net
You’ll have to look for the smallest one. I’ll try and get a pic of mine and post it
250BEFC7-5E9A-49BE-B4E3-C85F44511EEB.jpeg

Last edited:

webblade

I used to carry in my pocket a entomology net , similar to what butterfly collectors use. I used to collect caddis while I was fishing for a nationwide scheme . It was really good for olives etc.I learnt heaps with it.
It folds over and collapses on a flexible Steel rim
You can get them from the NHBS book shop on line it’s called a small sweep net
You’ll have to look for the smallest one. I’ll try and get a pic of mine and post it
View attachment 43578
That looks good and small. Can it be used in the water to take samples of emergers?

Whinging pom

That looks good and small. Can it be used in the water to take samples of emergers?
As it happens I’m just about to do a kick sample and I’ve all my nets on hand

I’m sure you could use it for that but the frame is a bit flimsy for strong current

I carry the small t triangular folding net bottom right on my lanyard for scooping nymphs/ Dunn’s off the surface.
in the middle bottom I have a net which is rolled up in my jacket that I can put into the food lane for a minute or two and see what’s drifting down on the menu for that particular day
top left is the kick sample net that I’m just about to use for monitoring the insects in our brook
787AA767-F190-497F-9794-98C2E78CD4FA.jpeg

webblade

As it happens I’m just about to do a kick sample and I’ve all my nets on hand

I’m sure you could use it for that but the frame is a bit flimsy for strong current

I carry the small t triangular folding net bottom right on my lanyard for scooping nymphs/ Dunn’s off the surface.
in the middle bottom I have a net which is rolled up in my jacket that I can put into the food lane for a minute or two and see what’s drifting down on the menu for that particular day
top left is the kick sample net that I’m just about to use for monitoring the insects in our brookView attachment 43579
You have all bases covered. Where did you get the rectangular net for sampling the food lane? How big is it?

Whinging pom

It’s about 20cm x 30cm with two flexible rods to keep it rigid when you stretch it out.
4E41D12F-64DC-4F0C-9FBB-A0C657AFFFA7.jpeg
E4013E8F-6F0E-489C-9B39-E853EBDF8E90.jpeg
I got it from torrentis products which was bug sampling stuff marketed by Stewart crofts and Cyril bennet. I’m not sure if they still do them . You may have to improvise!
I’ve had it for about 15 years. What it taught me more than anything is just how much of the food lane is beetles and terrestrial’s.
I’ll try and call Stuart and see if they are still available and where to get them.

Whinging pom

I find them really useful on strange waters . Especially when I’ve fished NZ and Aus and you haven’t a clue what to expect

edit : just heard back that the company that made them no longer exists I’m afraid
You’d need to get some 100-250 micron nylon straining mesh, there’s stuff on Amazon and eBay either for aquarium/pond owners

Last edited:

webblade

I find them really useful on strange waters . Especially when I’ve fished NZ and Aus and you haven’t a clue what to expect

edit : just heard back that the company that made them no longer exists I’m afraid
You’d need to get some 100-250 micron nylon straining mesh, there’s stuff on Amazon and eBay either for aquarium/pond owners
Thanks I will get some mesh and get my wife to make me one on the sewing machine (y). Thanks a lot for finding out for me I appreciate that.

rabmax

I have a little net that bends & folds up & goes into your pocket.Don't often carry it these days.I often find on the rivers i fish black magic nymph just under the surface will usually catch no matter the hatch.More times than not usually find small & black does the trick for me.

Latest posts