CDC feathers

snow white

Hi lads lassis what powder do you use to dry cdc feathers I have run out of emerger powder any advice welcome

baztek1

Hi lads lassis what powder do you use to dry cdc feathers I have run out of emerger powder any advice welcome
Fumed silica you can buy a carton 1ltr from ebay will refill frogs fanny 60 times the advert claims, but in reality it's more as the bottle works best / less loss when it's not filled to the top

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rockslider

i blow off excess water and then squeeze and rub fly in a chamois leather (real one with natural oil). Works a treat and very easy.

Cap'n Fishy

Just my tuppenceworth...

Note the word 'hydrophobic' in hydrophobic fumed silica. That means it doesn't like water. It repels it, or it displaces it, but it doesn't absorb it. So, it doesn't work to dry an item, so much as try to reject the advances of water. It's really sold as a waterproofing agent. I don't personally think it works very well for drying-out wet CDC. Even the guy who was selling it by the gallon on here admitted the reason you need to buy loads of it is because it doesn't work very well as a drying agent!

If something is wet, I prefer to remove the water using things that attract water (hydrophilic). Silica gel is hydrophilic and makes a good drying agent. Of course it gets saturated with repeated use, but you just dry it out in the oven for an hour, and it is recharged and ready to use again. A sponge, or amadou or chamois or good old kitchen-roll will wick-away the water. I use amadou, then I give it a shake in the silica gel to get it really dry. Then apply the waterproofing fumed silica.

Truth be told, I don't even like the fumed silica as a waterproofing agent - I think it washes-off too easily. I prefer the tiny, tiniest 'coat of paint' application of 'Tiemco Dry Magic' on CDC.

Col

snow white

Thanks for your answers it looks like changing flys more often then when they get water logged.
Thank you for input on the subject.