Cdc snapping.

GEK79

Hello all.. A suggestion on one of my threads about using cdc to tie some simple and productive flies led to me buying a bag of black cdc..
I've been trying to tie an Iobo..
Every time I have secured cdc to hook and began to wrap the feather with hackle pliers..
Snap snap snap..
I've gone through 19 feathers and nit produced a single fly..
Now my shed is cold would this make a. Difference..
Any help and suggestions here would be greatly appreciated..
As always
Gary

Scotty90

Hi Gary, what are you trying to do with the cdc? Wrap it as a hackle? If you are tying what I know is an iobo (cdc humpy) you just need to tie in 2/3 feathers with the stalks facing the eye of the hook, dub your body the fold the cdc tips towards the eye and tie down just behind the eye. Leave a shuttlecock like tuft sticking up from the front. No need to wrap the cdc.

Scott

should have added dyed cdc doesn’t float as well as natural and is a little more brittle, probably why it keeps snapping on you.

GEK79

Hi Gary, what are you trying to do with the cdc? Wrap it as a hackle? If you are tying what I know is an iobo (cdc humpy) you just need to tie in 2/3 feathers with the stalks facing the eye of the hook, dub your body the fold the cdc tips towards the eye and tie down just behind the eye. Leave a shuttlecock like tuft sticking up from the front. No need to wrap the cdc.

Scott

should have added dyed cdc doesn’t float as well as natural and is a little more brittle, probably why it keeps snapping on you.
Trying to toe the IOBO I've watched a few different versions on you tube seems a simplish fly to tie.. Black dyed cdc I have I think...

GEK79

If I'm tying a fly that requires the cdc to be wrapped like a hackle then I like to use the split thread technique. I find its stronger than wrapping the stem itself. Have a look for the technique on YouTube.
Thanks lad just so I don't go down the wrong path just search split thread technique fly tying.. Sorry to seem simple..

wobbly face

Sound's like the CDC has been over treated Gary, too much bleach, over washed. Also black dye can be a real pain to colour fast (hence bleaching and washing). Best either to chop it up (remove fibres from stems) and use as a dubbing or as webblade posted. (y)
I use split thread a lot, simple and easy with far less bulk than dubbing loops. ;)

GEK79

Hello all.. A suggestion on one of my threads about using cdc to tie some simple and productive flies led to me buying a bag of black cdc..
I've been trying to tie an Iobo..
Every time I have secured cdc to hook and began to wrap the feather with hackle pliers..
Snap snap snap..
I've gone through 19 feathers and nit produced a single fly..
Now my shed is cold would this make a. Difference..
Any help and suggestions here would be greatly appreciated..
As always
Gary
This is the video I thought explained what I needed to do and it didn't seem to complicated..

bbamboo

It's probably like wobbly face has suggested.
Thinking I had some black stuff years ago that did the same totally dried out and brittle, sank like a stone may I add. Purchased it from cookshill in the early days ,should have sent it back. But that's another story.
Good luck with the iobo it's a great fly.👍