Cdc

danielp

I have just had to relegate a large order of CDC from a normally very very good supplier to use for nothing but nymph collars as the quality was simply not good enough for dries.

Ordered a replacement batch from Cookshill, it was the first time I have ever bought anything from him from the website/phone as I have previously only ordered from trade stands at fairs etc... I am incredibly impressed with it and thought I would give credit where it is due.

Really nice quality CDC, all the feathers in the bulk pack are of the usable types with good thin stems and perfect hackles. Also, pricewise I think it is incredibly reasonable at 7.50 for a large bag.

Definitely will not be the last order I place there.

R

River Fly

+1 for Cookshill, the CDC is the nuts!, I get the £2.50 bag and it lasts ages, have also had peacock feathers and pheasant tail feathers from there with no probs.

Going to try the dubbing next :thumbs:

BENDINO

I've been using them for a while now & fairplay their stuff is top quality & excellent value :thumbs:

Rob

danielp

Try Fish On CDC,
great prompt service too.
Holy hell that is expensive though, for reference the pack I got from Cookshill was 150% of the price but 400% of the amount. I honestly cannot see how there is much scope to improve on the quality of the Cookshill feathers either, the only example I have seen better was a batch that NickS showed me which had been harvested by a forum member from wild birds he shoots somewhere in Scotland. I will be looking out on the next forum auction for it!

diogg

I emailed Steve (Cookshill) with an order on Thursday at about 9pm last week. He confirmed he had the stock later that night! I called him and paid on Friday morning and the stuff arrived here (Acharacle - look it up! :p ) with the post on Saturday late morning. Great service.

johntyzack

Holy hell that is expensive though, for reference the pack I got from Cookshill was 150% of the price but 400% of the amount. I honestly cannot see how there is much scope to improve on the quality of the Cookshill feathers either, the only example I have seen better was a batch that NickS showed me which had been harvested by a forum member from wild birds he shoots somewhere in Scotland. I will be looking out on the next forum auction for it!
Hi Dan,
I guess we're into 'cost' v 'value' here.
I too have had some good bulk bags of CDC (from a wide variety of suppliers) and I've also been very disappointed on occasions. Any supplier who sells by weight will 'pad out' the bag with some - shall we say - less than perfect feathers... I 100% guarantee you'll be disgarding some feathers once you get down the bag! (Even a really good one)
For me and I know also a lot of other anglers, when tying CDC flies I don't want to waste time selecting appropriate individual feathers for, say, a JT olive. I just want to go to the bag, take out any two and KNOW they'll be right for what I'm tying. My time is important to me. That's why we do the Fish On CDC this way: no waste and no delays. For that you pay a little extra.
Tight lines mate
JT

devon flyfisher

What you are paying for with the hand selected CDC is the man hours not the CDC.
When you purchase a bulk bag its just picked straight from the ducks backside and stuffed in a bag, which is exactly what I do when I shoot a duck, when I use it I select the premium feathers, but it takes time, so as I say that is what you pay for.
Cheers
Richard

danielp

Hi Dan,
I guess we're into 'cost' v 'value' here.
I too have had some good bulk bags of CDC (from a wide variety of suppliers) and I've also been very disappointed on occasions. Any supplier who sells by weight will 'pad out' the bag with some - shall we say - less than perfect feathers... I 100% guarantee you'll be disgarding some feathers once you get down the bag! (Even a really good one)
For me and I know also a lot of other anglers, when tying CDC flies I don't want to waste time selecting appropriate individual feathers for, say, a JT olive. I just want to go to the bag, take out any two and KNOW they'll be right for what I'm tying. My time is important to me. That's why we do the Fish On CDC this way: no waste and no delays. For that you pay a little extra.
Tight lines mate
JT
Fair enough JT, as a poor student I will stick with the bulk though lol. Would rather spend the 5 minutes sorting it myself, in fact I did this with the Cookshill stuff last night. Just split it in to the different feather types for the different flies. I am a stingey ****** so none of it will be wasted, any that is not quite right for dries will be used on nymphs.