Ceased stocking.

splinters

PS - did I read the original post correctly where it said there has been no reduction in captures of larger fish; but the membership are unhappy about catching small fish on top of those numbers?...
Surreal isn't it?
Actually there has been a defacto reduction as some members have left. However, those actually fishing the river are reporting roughly the same catch levels as previously except with the addition of the littl'uns. I have to consider that reduced presssure may be influencing results.
Most people are happy but some are nervous of change. They pay the same money as me and deserve reassurance if I can give it. It is a big step after all. I don't want to be dismisssive of long time members who have hung on through years of fish kills and pollution. They have seen the loss of all the ranunculus and the demise of the Blue winged olives and stayed on. I want them to see the recovery as well. Ranunculus has been planted at several sites. This year I have seen weed where none was planted for the first time. Blue winged olives are back in small numbers. I think they probably came on the weed. There will be discussions about installing large woody debris in several locations this year. Lots of good stuff going on so stay positive Simon.
It still seems counterintuitive for six inch fish to have been generated by increased recruitment, surely they shouldn't show up this quickly. It's only been a year. I can't for the life of me see anything different other than the absence of stockies.
Anyway, thanks for the input everyone and thanks to Paul particularly. The information you gave me previously was instrumental in swinging the vote.
I can see that I will use the pyramid explanation on the bank many times this year.
Sewinbasher, money isn't a problem, we own some of our rights and are gifted the rest by decent landowners. We pay no rent so losing members money isn't an issue. Losing members is, and as you say their views have to be respected.
Richard, the money saved on stocking is already going to other works. Bank repair, stiles, clearance etc. We have a committee member researching sediment meters who will report at the next meeting. Another checking out phosphate and nitrate measuring. I do the stuff which doesn't need any real brains.
We are a tiny club by mainland standards so short of a euromillions win the keeper ain't gonna happen.
Warrenslaney, glad to see you mention a three year vote. I'm hoping the mindset will be wild fish only by that time so your result is encouraging.
I think the big thing is to remember that this isn't happening in a laboratory. So many things can influence the results, not least the starting point. If we were doing this in a perfect environment the results would be perfect. But then in a perfect environment we wouldn't need to try.

By the way, apologies for calling you by usernames, for the most part I don't know your real ones.

Simon.

Last edited:

sewinbasher

Clubs can still do this. It doesn't have to be just for fisheries in private hands. Democracy usually stops at the committee level in most clubs.

a) Nevertheless even these votes have to be won. The OP has managed to achieve this.

b) The costs of running the club should be reduced for the very short term by not buying farmed fish, so an exodus need not be as financially hard as first anticipated. A strong social media campaign informing the world that there is true sustainable wild trout fishing to be had should lead to a rapid replacement of the stocky bashers and the finances would be refreshed nicely. I'd be happy to blog it if asked so to do.

c) The next step after going wild is to impose C&R so the bigger fish stay where they belong, in the river.

d) As soon as is possible the club should hire a full-time, qualified, dedicated river keeper to ensure the river is optimised for wild trout fishing. Now that will take some diplomacy and careful negotiation but, once done, it leads to staggering improvements for fish, wildlife and anglers.

richard
With the greatest of respect you can't make those sort of comments without knowing the constitutional and financial structure of the club. What we did in our club was good enough for the WTT to use us as a case study.

Last edited:

warrenslaney

I'm waiting for WTT to get their own water...and have been since Sheen Water was dropped. Run it as a going concern. As a model perhaps.

Paul G

Pro Member
I don't know if it has been stated in the more recent past (since many new forum members have arrived), but I hope you know Warren that I am personally full of admiration for what you have achieved at Haddon. I know the same can be said for all the staff at WTT too.

In the days of the keyboard warrior, it is becoming increasingly difficult and thankless to stick your head above the parapet and stand for something.

I heard the analogy of Gulliver the other day for any person who publicly puts forward a vision for a better way of doing things...only to be continually tied down by hundreds of tiny Lilliputians publicly chipping away at that idea from their armchairs.

As they say "No good deed goes unpunished".

themind

Kent, garden of England with a hosepipe ban!
Simon, I think your best evidence is simple stats. Once the returns are in you can use these to show catch numbers are comparable, catch size you can extrapolate that after another the sizes (7 inch trout I would guess would be 11-12" after another season, 14 after 2 more seasons, I'm basing it roughly on this http://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/images/Fisheries Chart.JPG, )

You can then provide evidence for the improvements the money has gone to.

What may be worth doing is focussing the improvements on things that hit members between the eyes - bank access, bank improvements etc that way they see that they are still where their subs go and that its improving things long term.