Chalk stream day availability

Mancros1971

Hi does anyone know of any chalkstream fishing available either free of cheap looking to travel from Ireland for a week or ten days and fly fish what ever chalk streams possible any info would be much appreciated

sewinbasher

Last edited:

Secret Angler

There is, or was, a short stretch of the Itchen in Winchester that is free, although I think it is rather urban. Salisbury's your best bet.

Carlos

There is also a little public stretch near the lower Itchen fishery, I'll try and dig it out. I think is motorway blighted though.

The Wandle in London was/is a recovered chalkstream. Very urban but good fishing.

There is a lot of fishing available, but it is not cheap. If you come after the trout season and fish for grayling there is some great and reasonable fishing. Wherwell being the prime example.

boisker

Not sure what you mean by cheap?
But you can get 3 days on the Dorchester Fly fishing Club Frome water for £100... or if you just want a day it’s £50.
Contact John Aplin Dorchester Fishing Club – Casterbridge Fisheries Ltd

Beauty of the Frome is there’s not only the chance of a large trout... there are some huge Grayling, with a genuine chance of a 3lb, very good chance of one over 2lb

Krang

Banned
Banned
The Kennet through Newbury is free fishing. Not particularly picturesque but its in quite good condition at the moment due to habitat improvement done around 2014 and a reduction water abstraction in 2017. Well worth a look!

delray

Not sure what you mean by cheap?
But you can get 3 days on the Dorchester Fly fishing Club Frome water for £100... or if you just want a day it’s £50.
Contact John Aplin Dorchester Fishing Club – Casterbridge Fisheries Ltd

Beauty of the Frome is there’s not only the chance of a large trout... there are some huge Grayling, with a genuine chance of a 3lb, very good chance of one over 2lb
And if you spend a little time with John, I can pretty much guarantee you'll have a laugh; very good, very funny fella based on only meeting him once.

BobP

I am told that the Rushall Organics fishery is now controlled by Manningford Fishery which means the price will increase.

There is a free section of the Lambourn in Newbury. Wading only and chest waders essential.

knoonan

Check out Fishing Breaks for grayling day ticket on some lovely chalk streams. I’m not sure if the upper Avon will give you a good feel for a chalk stream; doesn’t have the clarity IMO. Frome beautiful but can be very tough in my experience. PM me if you want a few pointers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

delray

Re Bob's post, that would be a pity, just from a price stand point, but if it's happening I'm not sure it's happened yet as the fishery remains bookable via the Rushall website through to next February. If Manningford have taken it over perhaps they have left the current booking process alone for the time being.
Gives them a lengthy stretch for sure.

mrnotherone

Re Bob's post, that would be a pity, just from a price stand point, but if it's happening I'm not sure it's happened yet as the fishery remains bookable via the Rushall website through to next February. If Manningford have taken it over perhaps they have left the current booking process alone for the time being.
Gives them a lengthy stretch for sure.
I have fished Rushall 4 or 5 times but not since Summer 2018. It does look like you can still book from their website but interestingly, the company's twitter and facebook pages have had no updates in 2019.

Regarding the above point on water clarity, the upper Avon can colour up, but I've also also seen it crystal clear.

delray

I fished it a couple of weeks ago (think it was you that put me onto it Jon), and had quite a good session for me. A pal of mine was there last Wednesday, very cold, windy, but managed a few, and we both booked through the website which appeared to me to have been upgraded recently.

Just as an aside, I called around last week to check on some Hampshire Grayling fishing; Westover Farm on the Anton are charging £70 and Wherwell has gone up to £60 which are sizeable increases from 3 or 4 years ago. I'm not saying they're unreasonable, just too steep for me.

mrnotherone

Del, I think that price rise probably reflects what seems to be a resurgence in grayling fishing in general. There was a time when I never bothered but now I really enjoy a few winter sessions.

BobP

I fished it a couple of weeks ago (think it was you that put me onto it Jon), and had quite a good session for me. A pal of mine was there last Wednesday, very cold, windy, but managed a few, and we both booked through the website which appeared to me to have been upgraded recently.

Just as an aside, I called around last week to check on some Hampshire Grayling fishing; Westover Farm on the Anton are charging £70 and Wherwell has gone up to £60 which are sizeable increases from 3 or 4 years ago. I'm not saying they're unreasonable, just too steep for me.
Del,

Wherwell have increased their prices to deter some people from fishing there. I heard from the keeper that quite a few "anglers" were treating it as an inexpensive day's chalkstream trout fishing and in one or two cases were fishing inside zones that had been roped off to protect spawning trout.