Chapman's Pool

loudo999

Since having a little success at Kimmeridge Im going to work my way East on the coast and try Chapman's Pool next. I'll be employing similar tactics moving frequently a couple of hours before high tide with my 9 weight intermediate line, 12lb fluorocarbon tippet and sandeel/baitfish patterns on the point.

Looking at a map I have two options in terms of location - Either work my way along the beach area (red in the attached image) or head further out where the ground looks much more rocky (yellow).

Any opinions on where might be better for bass?

Attachments

rockslider

No idea where that is but the yellow area looks bassy, also the point across from it that is also rocky looks good. They look like high tide marks. i find beaches hard to fish unless you knoe the bass habits of the area, reefs are more consistent in my opinion.

loudo999

No idea where that is but the yellow area looks bassy, also the point across from it that is also rocky looks good. They look like high tide marks. i find beaches hard to fish unless you knoe the bass habits of the area, reefs are more consistent in my opinion.
Thanks. Im going to go tonight and give it a go, concentrating on the yellow area circled! Will let you know how I get on then.

original cormorant

Getting to and from Chapmans pool is a bit challenging - and remember you'll have to get back up maybe after dark. I definitely recommend scouting it out in advance.

rockslider

you have it sussed, i would never bother fishing for bass in the daytime!

loudo999

you have it sussed, i would never bother fishing for bass in the daytime!
People keep saying this but a couple of weeks ago I was fishing Kimmeridge with a friend with a high tide at 1pm. Weather was as hot as today and we caught all our fish between half 12 - half 1pm! Biggest at 4lb smallest at 2.5lb. Right time right place I guess!

loudo999

So, quick report...

High tide was at 9.48pm so good timing to coincide with it getting dark. I worked my way round to the rocky ledges and boulders to the left hand side of the beach. I fished hard from 7.30 through till 10pm. It felt and looked very good, especially once the sun dipped behind the hills. Despite going through my fly box and moving spots frequently I blanked. Really felt like it was going to be good sport... oh well. There was a large shoal of mullet for a while but didn't spot any bass feeding. I'll maybe try the beach next time.

It is a gorgeous place though and I was happy to be there, the walks good exercise getting back to the car park!

Attachments

JCP

Try futher east from yellow circle.More or less at the foot of St Albans Head and beyond.West from the pool is Freshwater Steps which was always a good spot.Water used to flow like a waterfall from the cliff but think erosion has changed the landscape a little.Try the mullet.They go like bonefish.

JP

JRT

Never had much luck at Chapmans even from boat/kayak. It certainly is a march down/up to the fishing.
Being near st aldans it drops to 60ft a bit further out and there are huge holes and house sized rocks all over that bay. But its never thrown up much for me. From shore you are better off fishing the ledges to west of Chapmans. They get a nice tide over them and its very fishable from shore. Lots of fish close in when they are there. They always hold fish at some point. You can get cut off but just wait until the tide drops to get out again. Also flat glassy conditions aren't ideal either.

By the way this area is one of the areas that will be closed off to all fishing, including anglers so if you haven't done so already protest about the HPMAs being proposed - see the AT website.

JCP

Never had much luck at Chapmans even from boat/kayak. It certainly is a march down/up to the fishing.
Being near st aldans it drops to 60ft a bit further out and there are huge holes and house sized rocks all over that bay. But its never thrown up much for me. From shore you are better off fishing the ledges to west of Chapmans. They get a nice tide over them and its very fishable from shore. Lots of fish close in when they are there. They always hold fish at some point. You can get cut off but just wait until the tide drops to get out again. Also flat glassy conditions aren't ideal either.

By the way this area is one of the areas that will be closed off to all fishing, including anglers so if you haven't done so already protest about the HPMAs being proposed - see the AT website.
Apologies for ignorance but please link the sites to oppose these impending restrictions.Yet more NT BS.

JP

JRT

Reactions: JCP

4wings

Since having a little success at Kimmeridge Im going to work my way East on the coast and try Chapman's Pool next. I'll be employing similar tactics moving frequently a couple of hours before high tide with my 9 weight intermediate line, 12lb fluorocarbon tippet and sandeel/baitfish patterns on the point.

Looking at a map I have two options in terms of location - Either work my way along the beach area (red in the attached image) or head further out where the ground looks much more rocky (yellow).

lipslicker

This was caught there, i believe, and, as you can see, the sun is shining.
Outside the bay, in the boulders.

shropshire_lad

Watch out for the Centurions! :eek:

Only been there once, on holiday several years ago. I believe there's a story about it being haunted by Roman Centurions? I found it quite a spooky place. I'd be a bit freaked fishing there after dark on my own but there again I'm a bit of a wimp ;)

loudo999

Funnily enough when I was walking back it was pitch black. No centurions but as I entered the car park which had a couple of parked cars one sat right in the middle lowered its window but nothing was said... I threw my gear in the car hit reverse and stuck my full beams on. A middle aged man sat on his own in an empty carpark at 10.30pm... Definitely wasn't there walking his dog.

shropshire_lad

Funnily enough when I was walking back it was pitch black. No centurions but as I entered the car park which had a couple of parked cars one sat right in the middle lowered its window but nothing was said... I threw my gear in the car hit reverse and stuck my full beams on. A middle aged man sat on his own in an empty carpark at 10.30pm... Definitely wasn't there walking his dog.
Your last word may be key ;) I have heard about this sort of thing:eek: