Chasing the rare WILD MARBE TROUT in Slovenia

theflywayofficial

How many of you know about this mysterious Wild Marble Trout? It almost went extinct, but just a few streams in Slovenia kept 7 different genetically pure Marble populations that were the basis of the efforts to revive the Marble Trout of river Soca - an AMAZINGLY TURQUOISE river that runs through a canyon in the Southern Alps. These fish are harder to catch than even Wild Brown Trout. They are more easily spooked than other trout, very cautious and like to stay on the bottom. The big ones mostly eat other fish, but they all love to sip flies while barely moving in the dark corners of the rivers. The Marble and Brow Trout can crossbreed, so many of the fish are beautiful and unique, but a pure Wild Marble is a sight to behold, and catching it the pure way - The Fly Way - using only Dry Flies is probably the pinnacle of Pure Wild Fly Fishing.

- @theflywayofficial

Attachments

• IMG_2194.jpg
    IMG_2194.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 49

baca157

Amazing fish but I found them really difficult to catch. I fished Soca valley on three separate trips but only managed one smallish marble trout from Soca (last day of the last trip). I consider it my best catch ever!

One of the most spectacular scenery in Europe.

5231B019-1630-4071-BFF6-903240D4F306.jpeg

0F993A19-EDC3-4AF5-8B0D-44F703C37CF9.jpeg

8CEE3FD8-C382-473C-A531-1AA55055F1B6.jpeg

Cheers,
Sebastian

theflywayofficial

I know, I remember dreaming of catching one after seeing them from bridges, but now I have so many under my belt it feels surreal. Every year it feels like I have never caught one before, but April is coming soon, and the fishing done around May is possibly the pinnacle of dream Fly Fishing for me personally. I do have a couple of bucket-list places but they are the classics - England, Alaska, and New Zealand :)

Come for an intense 3-day, 3-river trip and I will have you holding a Marble Trout in each river ;)

stevel

I was quite obsessed with these fish for a while, the host who organised my first trip there had us stay at a hotel where the owner was an expert marble fisherman, with many pictures of huge marbles on his walls. Amazing to see in the tackle shops of huge 100+cm stuffed marbles (all on lures however, not fly). I was subsequently diverted to fishing for hucho as my friend is a hucho fisherman; I have promised to return when this virus is more under control!

baca157

I have fished for and caught marbles in Slovenia too, spectacular fishing and agree about the water clarity - this pool was 15 feet deep but the marble lived under the wee bush on the right and took a Stimulator. Netting him was another story altogether!View attachment 37163
Is that photo from Idrijca river shuck raider?

Cheers,
Sebastian

baca157

Yep, that was on the Idrijca. You fished it?
Yeah, on two separate trips. Mainly around the confluence with Baca and above Slap ob Idrijci where we stayed. Beautiful river. I never got to fish the trophy section further up the river, just fished the Tolmin fishing club waters.

Fished Baca and Tolminka as well. Sadly only got to fish the Soca for a few short early morning sessions during my non-fishing holidays couple years ago as each time I went there specifically for fishing, Soca was far too high. The photos I posted here are from one of these mornings. Soca was really low then with discharge of 10-12m3/s at Kobarid. Could even wade across.

Will definitely be back but my mates want to fish Sava Bohinjka instead. Cheaper and easier to catch. No marbles there but they have Hucho.

Cheers,
Sebastian

shuck raider

Fantastic area for sure. I fished the lower part of the Idrijca as well and was surprised at the number of brown/marble hybrids down there. Locals hate them and my mate wanted me to knock 'em on the head (which I didn't). Also got a monster grayling at the Soca confluence, must've been over 4lbs. I was fishing small dries to it but Tomas said to whack on a #6 Woolly B*gger and rip it past him. Bingo! Not one for the purists :)

baca157

Fantastic area for sure. I fished the lower part of the Idrijca as well and was surprised at the number of brown/marble hybrids down there. Locals hate them and my mate wanted me to knock 'em on the head (which I didn't). Also got a monster grayling at the Soca confluence, must've been over 4lbs. I was fishing small dries to it but Tomas said to whack on a #6 Woolly B*gger and rip it past him. Bingo! Not one for the purists :)
I call it matching the hatch:ROFLMAO:

heero

The Soca and its tributaries where I have holidayed thrice are my favorite place that I have fished in Europe thus far - have also fished Ireland, Scotland, England, Sweden, Norway, and Italy. Great people, great food, great scenery, and great fishing.

I found the dry fly fishing to be great and have caught marble trout over 50cm on the dry fly and lost a really exceptional marble on the streamer once. Have also caught many nice rainbows, including a fish 75cm+ that mustve weighed 8-9lbs, and some grayling, too.

Unfortunately, no photos of my trips in 2007/2008 due to the great photobucket debacle a few years ago.

Last trip was 2016 with the missus. Not so much a fishing trip, but some fishing was done in between hiking and eating.

Nice pool in which you can see a couple feeding fish in the picture:

IMG_6973.JPG

Me hooked up with one (can see it in picture):

IMG_6977.JPG

Couple fish from that one pool:

IMG_6987.JPG

IMG_7028.JPG

Other pics:

IMG_6935.JPG
IMG_6928.JPG
IMG_6923.JPG
IMG_7126.JPG
IMG_7127.JPG
IMG_6974.JPG

heero

I have fished for and caught marbles in Slovenia too, spectacular fishing and agree about the water clarity - this pool was 15 feet deep but the marble lived under the wee bush on the right and took a Stimulator. Netting him was another story altogether!View attachment 37163

Ha, I think that is the same pool in which my missus photoed me fishing in the post above.

Latest posts