Cheap Uv resin and torch

Spider

I hope to tie some perdigons when I get going on the tying for next season. Uv resin isn't something I use a lot.

Is it better than normal varnish and why?

As it won't be a tying mainstay, can anyone recommend a cheap but OK bransmd and torch? Tks

goldenolive

Tube of Solarez Thin if you're not tying allot of flies.

A uv laser pen will set the resin ( these can be got cheap on ebay/amazon)

I personally use the solarez bone dry as it has a brush and lasts me years.
i have a high powered torch similar to the original solarez torch.

I use the resin mainly for perdigones, protecting tinsel bodies, applying to thread when doing whip finish then setting with torch.
I also like a tiny drop down into the base of a klinkhamer/parachute hackle.
I also use it to put stick on eyes onto minkies/zonkers/fry patterns.

arkle

"Pay cheap, pay twice" Use the ONLY resin specifically designed for fly tying, Diamondhard.

noel

Try this as recommended by the England bank team captain
Lee Cartmail
badge icon

Any craft resin will do, the trick is in the curing, a good uv 6w free standing lamp dries flies very quickly, I got one from China couple years ago for a few quid, took about 3 weeks to arrive but well worth the wait

No photo description available.
Lee Cartmail
badge icon

Image may contain: text that says 16:49 < Item 5 1of3 Hant 25/60 g Crystal epoxy UV Resin Solar Cure Sunlight Activated Jewelry DIY GBP 4.99 FAST & FREE Est. delivery Fri 16 Oct- Sat 17 Oct 100% buyer satisfaction Free delivery est. in 2days SIZE Multi-buy: Qty 25G Buy1 10+ available Buy 2 Home Buy 3 My eBay Search Notifications Selling

mr_eejit

I just ordered a tube of solarez thin last night on eBay, worked out £8.50 posted, pricey for a wee tube, thought I'd give it a try as the bug off I had was still tacky after curing

Spider

I think adding some varnish after the glue has dried, takes away the tacky feel?

arkle

Spider, that defeats the reason you use resin for in the first place.

Spider

Arkle, I saw it on a davie mc pháil video, seemed OK? I think Troutline have the thin resin I want and havent purchased from Lucian in ages so will try there.

Spider

Or any other Solarez users out there? I can get this in Ireland so glad to support local.

Spider

Anyone using Lucians product? I'm happy with thin stuff, for stripped quill nymphs and perdigons.

arkle

Spider, if you go to the deercreek website, you'll see that they offer a very comprehensive range of resins, probably more than any other co.

bluezulu49

Or any other Solarez users out there? I can get this in Ireland so glad to support local.
I have been using Solarez resins for some time now. It was not available in Europe when I got it and I bought 2 sets of the three small tubes to make the most of the expensive postage from USA. I have used the thin tube extensively for flies, the flexible for smoothing braided loop to flyline connections and hardly use the thick one.

In about 5 years I have not yet exhausted the first set and the second is unopened. I have not detected any change in the resin since I got it, unlike the first resin I got from Loon which appears to have a very short shelf life. ( Goes very thick)

It is also a cheap way to dip your toe into the world of uv resin.

Green29

Spider, thanks for asking the question. I intend tying some Perdigons as well, my attempts to use varnish and superglue have not been too successful. I have now ordered Solarez and a Torch, fingers crossed.

ejw

Deer Creek for me, although I did get a set of Maxcatch UV gear, unfortunately this does not work easily as the UV glue just comes in packs and needs "something to apply it, i.e. a hypodermic ??
If you are left with a "tacky" surface, a quick wipe with a "glasses wipe" or solvent cloth will cure the problem.