Fly Fishing Forum banner

China imports

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Dingbat 
#1 ·
Are there any fishing/anglers seats out there that are not made in china? that cost less than £100.
I have looked at quite a few and they all seem to be made either in China or far East. I would like to support British manufacturing for once or at least something either made in Europe or maybe closer to home!

#2 ·
Are there any fishing/anglers seats out there that are not made in china? that cost less than £100.
I have looked at quite a few and they all seem to be made either in China or far East. I would like to support British manufacturing for once or at least something either made in Europe or maybe closer to home!
Due to cheapest everything is made in china

#5 ·
The rutland seat sport a union jack on the frame, i don't know if that means anything these days, maybe designed in the uk?
As Glueman said why would anything be built where it costs more?

Al
In the quest for me to find the screws for your boat seat it transpired that it was made in China ( probably unknown to you ) hence the reason for me returning it to you for refund. !!!

#7 ·
I work part time in a fishing tackle shop, selling mostly coarse tackle. All the large items on sale including rods, bivies, seats etc are manufactured in China. Exceptions are Century Rods and Shimano reels. Leys bait casting tackle is pricey and popular but again an American brand made in China. Hardys advertise that their HBX fly rods are hand built in Alnwick but what about the other ranges of rods they offer ? I am prepared to pay for tackle that is honest in it's origin, ABU from Sweden, Shimano from Japan and rods from the UK (B&W, Atomsix etc). I am happy buying tackle that is honest in it's origin, e.g. Shakespeare but I am very concerned about paying premium prices for a rod that may have only been " finished" in the country, where I expected it to be manufactured. Am I fusy...?

#8 ·
NO.
Unfortunately, things are not clear. One food company where I live got manufacturing/production deal from local council. They are mainly a food warehouse but because they repackage frozen peas, they got classed as manufacture/production which gives them the rights to put a Union Jack on the packaging and Produced (Made) In UK.
Perhaps we need more classifications, Made In UK, Assembled In UK (parts can come from anywhere else).

#9 ·
speytime said:

The rutland seat sport a union jack on the frame, i don't know if that means anything these days, maybe designed in the uk?
As Glueman said why would anything be built where it costs more?

Al
fisher said:
In the quest for me to find the screws for your boat seat it transpired that it was made in China ( probably unknown to you ) hence the reason for me returning it to you for refund. !!!

-----------------------------------

The original Rutland boat seat I have with an oval badge that says "The Rutland" was made in the UK for many years by Merlin products in Luton. It does not have a union jack on the frame.

Glasgow Angling centre bought the patent and they now sell the "Stillwater Rutland boat seat", which I believe is a cheaper/inferior version, and now made in the far east, When they first started selling the Stillwater version I heard quite a few complaints about their version, and seen at least two broken ones.

Whether GAC have since rectified the flaws is unknown to me.

Best regards
Jim

#10 ·
NO.
Unfortunately, things are not clear. One food company where I live got manufacturing/production deal from local council. They are mainly a food warehouse but because they repackage frozen peas, they got classed as manufacture/production which gives them the rights to put a Union Jack on the packaging and Produced (Made) In UK.
Perhaps we need more classifications, Made In UK, Assembled In UK (parts can come from anywhere else).
The Swiss distinguish between "Made in Switzerland" and "Swiss Made." Repackaging peas comes under the "Swiss Made" heading.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.