Choughs.

wingman

Cumbria beside the field with the sheep in it.
I saw a pair of these down near my local river back in June and I believe they're rarely seen in Cumbria or most other places for that matter so seems like it was a lucky sighting and only a few hundred pairs left in the whole country apparently. They were definitely Choughs as I'm well versed with other birds like smaller Crows etc only wish I'd had my camera with me at the time. I've been back to the same spot a few times but haven't seen them again so maybe moved on but who knows. Has anyone else seen any anywhere either recently or over the last few years just out of interest?

bibio1st

There’s no mistaking them but as WF said Anglesey is the only place I’ve seen them.

I did see a Nuthatch last week, first in a long time but not as scares as a Chough.

Steve

ohanzee

There’s no mistaking them but as WF said Anglesey is the only place I’ve seen them.

I did see a Nuthatch last week, first in a long time but not as scares as a Chough.

Steve

Nuthatches are pretty common, they just hide extraordinarily well, I got one in the garden and you would never know its there.

richard griffith

Quite a few in Wales.Seen on the little Orme Llandudno and on Lleyn peninsular and also on the coastal path between Aberaeron and Newquay.A very distinctive call.Richard.

Sash

Lots down here in Pembrokeshire: utterly lovely birds.

As a matter of interest, Wingman, which river were you on? Choughs in Cumbria are really unusual, so that would be a great record, and worth reporting.

3lbgrayling

The Island of Islay is the place for them Mark,lots of them

Yes. I have seen them many times brilliant birds.well spotted Wingman.

Jim

- - - Updated - - -

Nuthatches are pretty common, they just hide extraordinarily well, I got one in the garden and you would never know its there.

Nuthatches are not really common in Scotland.Treecreepers are..They are increasing in numbers but they were missing until recent times.Could be to do with Climate changes.they are still Missing in large parts of Scotland

Jim

wingman

Cumbria beside the field with the sheep in it.
Thanks again fellas for the info, looks like they have an interesting distribution these Choughs, predominantly coastal by the looks of things.

As a matter of interest, Wingman, which river were you on? Choughs in Cumbria are really unusual, so that would be a great record, and worth reporting.

I spotted them on the River Irthing Sash which is a main tributary of the River Eden, probably around three miles upstream from where it goes into the Eden.

sofasurfer

I think they were reintroduced at Cape Cornwall several years ago. I've seen quite a few there :)

codyarrow

This is from memory, so it could be mis - remembered, but I think that historically there where a few on or around the cliffs at St Bees. (west coast cumbria)

codyarrow

Isle Of Man is a stronghold. Not sure what the stamina levels of the crow family is; but would imagine 25 miles to Cumbria is achievable?

bobmiddlepoint

Isle Of Man is a stronghold. Not sure what the stamina levels of the crow family is; but would imagine 25 miles to Cumbria is achievable?

I know it is a somewhat bigger bird but research showed that ravens roosting on Anglesey would travel as far as the Isle of Man, the Lake District, Galloway and Exmoor in a day. I don't think they went back every night but it shows how far they can go. Even little birds will migrate thousands of miles so a 25 mile trip hardly seems like a big outing.

Andy

sewinbasher

They might have come from the Isle of Man or North Wales, both would be a relatively short flight away.

boorod

Chough turned up, was at either Dunfries & Galloway or Ayrshire, cant remember exactly, earlier this year, folk travelled all over to photograph it.