Circle hooks for salmon (again...)

Rhithrogena

I know we have had various threads on circle hooks. The club I have just joined are explicit that no circle hooks are to be used on their waters, even for flies.
My question is does anyone know why. I have heard the rumours about deep-hooking (and I doubt this was with 'real' circle hooks), with bait
I have used proper circle hooks for a variety of sea fish for years and they definitely prevent deep hooking when baits are swallowed.
Does anyone know of specific evidence with salmon and circles?
I realise this is one for the Salmon Forum, but I am posting here too as I know a lot of you will have an opinion (!).Thanks
Rich

JCP

Most salmon have to be released with as little stress as possible.Circle hooks are diffiicult to remove without a fiddly process which can involve cutting the leader putting a loop over the barb and pulling the hook through.Remember circles were designed for long lines.Have used them extensively in both freshwater and salt.

JP

bobmiddlepoint

Most salmon have to be released with as little stress as possible.Circle hooks are diffiicult to remove without a fiddly process which can involve cutting the leader putting a loop over the barb and pulling the hook through.Remember circles were designed for long lines.Have used them extensively in both freshwater and salt.

JP

My experience of circle hooks is only with salmon (and sea trout) worming and I never had any trouble slipping the hooks out with a pair of forceps. I always debarbed my circle hooks so maybe that was the difference?

Andy

david barnes

There can be no other reason than the continuing stupidity prevalent in most aged minds and that is dismissing the benefits of something for the sake of tradition!
Circle hooks are by far the best hook for causing the least damage as they encourage true hook set in the scissors and if debarbed are even safer.
But since there’s no arguing with fossils, what do you expect, after all they are the ones who dragged dozens of specimens over the years and onto the table, you’ll not find many forward thinking youths who do the same.

Rhithrogena

JP
Thanks for the reply. I've never had any difficulty with bass, plaice, pollack, sharks, conger....
No experience with circles with salmon though....

Rhithrogena

There can be no other reason than the continuing stupidity prevalent in most aged minds and that is dismissing the benefits of something for the sake of tradition!
Circle hooks are by far the best hook for causing the least damage as they encourage true hook set in the scissors and if debarbed are even safer.
But since there’s no arguing with fossils, what do you expect, after all they are the ones who dragged dozens of specimens over the years and onto the table, you’ll not find many forward thinking youths who do the same.
That's what I thought.

bobmiddlepoint

Name and shame!
Which club has gone down this road?
I ask because I thought all the Cornish clubs went over to circles only for worm years ago.

Andy

Rhithrogena

Name and shame!
Which club has gone down this road?
I ask because I thought all the Cornish clubs went over to circles only for worm years ago.

Andy
You know the club Andy. I would rather not stir up a hornet's nest just yet. Haven't actually wet a line in club waters yet....

JCP

Thanks for the reply. I've never had any difficulty with bass, plaice, pollack, sharks, conger....
No experience with circles with salmon though....
Tried them with prawns in summer for grilse.Still stand by my experience they were a fiddle to remove.For example leaving the fish in the net ready to release very difficult slip the hook out by hand and let the fish swim.Circles have a place and excel when not wanting the fish to be deep hooked on bait.You did say salmon in your original post..We are bound to release all salmon where I fish.No I did not use barbless back then and few years ago now.Just never felt the need to experiment further.Have not fished a prawn for years either so the trail ended there.As an aside I did try them on reservoir trout bloodworm patterns and same deal for release hanging over the side of a boat trying to get the hook out was not the best idea I ever had so gave up on that one too.I do still use them in the salt on some bait rigs and deadbaiting for pike.

Last edited:

Rhithrogena

Tried them with prawns in summer for grilse.Still stand by my experience they were a fiddle to remove.For example leaving the fish in the net ready to release very difficult slip the hook out by hand and let the fish swim.Circles have a place and excel when not wanting the fish to be deep hooked on bait.You did say salmon in your original post..We are bound to release all salmon where I fish.No I did not use barbless back then and few years ago now.Just never felt the need to experiment further.Have not fished a prawn for years either so the trail ended there.As an aside I did try them on reservoir trout bloodworm patterns and same deal for release hanging over the side of a boat trying to get the hook out was not the best idea I ever had so gave up on that one too.I do still use them in the salt on some bait rigs and deadbaiting for pike.
Interesting, I would be using them with the barbs crushed. Were you finding trouble with unhooking with barbed circles?

Rhithrogena

Don't think so although it has been done.Always thought it was the brainchild of Austraian commercial boats 100 years ago...
The Maori used them a thousand years ago!

JCP

I am wearing a greenstone one.Not quite the circles being discussed.The picture is an ornamental carving.Maori originals were more like a curved point barbless hook.I have fished with North Island Maoris.

Last edited:

bonefishblues

Typical, they don't name the model number. Tsk.

RPS

A fly is a lure. You are supposed to lure the fish onto the hook, not allow the fish to hook itself. Circle hooks are good hookers on a fly or other lure-if appropriately set on even a spinner/crankbait.

Latest posts