Claret U.V Skinny Dabbler.

Wee Jimmy

50859446952_318f60071e_b.jpg

Not particularly skinny these ones to be honest....🥴😀

smallmouth

Is that through choice or lack of availability...?

Convenience really, the very local reservoirs to me are bank only and I've always thought of "traditional" loch type flies as being for drifting in a boat, or maybe "cast and one pace" on wild places like Loch Mudle.

I could travel not too far and take a boat on a decent reservoir, (if COVID ever allows it), might be a bit of a comedy though as the last time I fly fished from a boat was for bass in the US......

Wee Jimmy

I find it can be just as effective from the bank and certainly not restricted to boat use.Covering the ground with cast and step is not as essential for rainbows as it is for browns but is a great way of locating fish if you have enough room on the bank to do so.Give it a whirl, you may be surprised...👍

Scotty Mitchell

Convenience really, the very local reservoirs to me are bank only and I've always thought of "traditional" loch type flies as being for drifting in a boat, or maybe "cast and one pace" on wild places like Loch Mudle.

I could travel not too far and take a boat on a decent reservoir, (if COVID ever allows it), might be a bit of a comedy though as the last time I fly fished from a boat was for bass in the US......
Pull a team of wets from the bank for a couple of sessions, I say “pull”, sometimes fishing them like buzzers or nymphs is the way forward, but definitely try it.
It sounds like you will be pleasantly surprised. Dabblers are just as lethal on their day from bank as boat 👍

smallmouth

I'll have to tie more loch type wets up, (which I do enjoy having a go at), and give them a try locally one day, instead of just keeping them for possible holidays in wild brownie territory.

It might give me an excuse to buy that new Fulling Mill fly box with the central leaf I've been fancying.

What size flies do you use most?

iainmortimer

Pull a team of wets from the bank for a couple of sessions, I say “pull”, sometimes fishing them like buzzers or nymphs is the way forward, but definitely try it.
It sounds like you will be pleasantly surprised. Dabblers are just as lethal on their day from bank as boat 👍
I have to agree with that. Some of my best days at at Tenterden Trout Waters, most definitely southern lowland lakes, were with a team of wets commonly including GRHE, greenwells, Invicta and butchers ranging from size 10 to 16.

in a Caenis hatch, which were very big at TTW, a team of bloody butchers set up with 16, 14 and 10 on point were extremely effective.

Wee Jimmy

What size flies do you use most?
Nowadays it’s mainly tens and twelves, for no other reason other than my preference to use other tactics if the wind is anything less than what I consider to be good for pulling wets.
In the past though,I would often go down to 14/16 for a light breeze in clear water.

Last edited:

Latest posts