Clarity

James9118

I was going to reply to a post about physics in the other thread, but it was closed (thankfully). Without wanting to re-open that nonsense (yes, I accept the irony) I did want to clear up an obvious and purposeful bit of mis-information.

What was being discussed was tailing loops and Newtonian physics. I made a statement that technical contributors (mainly on Sexyloops) were in full agreement on the validity of Newton's 1st law of motion to the formation and growth of tailing loops.

Tangled vehemently insisted that there was no such agreement. To eventually 'prove' his point he pulled up a Sexyloops thread where there is a disagreement about a paper written by Caroline Gatti-Bono.

For those not aware the Gatti-Bono paper concerns aerodynamic lift in theoretical, idealised fly-casts. It has nothing to do with tails whatsoever, in fact the fly-leg is modelled as being perfectly (impossibly) straight.

So to summarise how this went:
Me: "there is full agreement on the application of Newton's 1st law to the growth of a tail in the fly leg".
Tangled: "No there isn't - here's a quote of you disagreeing about something completely different and unrelated"
Me: "WTF again!".

I'm more than happy to discuss the Gatti-Bono paper, and why I believe it's seriously flawed, with anyone interested (not you though Tangled)

Admin - apologies for this post, feel free to close or delete it.

James.

karlsson

Hi James

Just want to take the chance of thanking you for furthering my understanding of casting!
In one of the threads on SL about lift I posted some clips that seemingly proves there is a lift in a loop, you told me why that wasn't the case and in a way easily understood, pointing out clues I missed.
So thank you!

Cheers
Lasse

torrotxo

Also someone asked for instructors to show how to make tailoring loops at will. Here you can see a rather common fault due to taking the ”power snap” concept too literally.

Latest posts