Classifieds - guidelines

Status
Not open for further replies.

guest21

I'm not sure that this explains what was unfair about the previous arrangements.

Looks like getting a straight answer to that one is going to be tough... possibly because there was nothing wrong with it... other than the fact that it generated no income for Admin of course! :mad:

ohanzee

Is there a danger of people exploiting the forum by using it as a free shop front?

F_200610_October11b_120397a.jpg

ohanzee

That's what the 100 posts rule was for. Seemed to work fine.

It only seems that way cos poor Sofi and Myriad work tirelessly to project that seamless perfection:)
They no doubt checked how many items the average member with more than 100 posts sells in a month and more than accounted for it with…2, thats 24 items per year, even edd7 would manage on that:D

jameswaine

I think it would benefit all, if admin just told us what was going on. If you're going to make changes, explain how and why.

Admin, why have the rules changed?

Whitegoatie

When you first joined they used to say, 'post and let buy' You know they did, you know they did.

But in this ever changing forum which we live in, makes you give in and cry,

'Post and let buy (subject to a commission if you take the p1ss)'

See what did there? And it's only just gone 8am.

guest21

I think it would benefit all, if admin just told us what was going on. If you're going to make changes, explain how and why.

Admin, why have the rules changed?

They have 'explained', but the explanation(s) have been totally disingenuous... that's what gets me, the lack of honesty; the new rules are NOT to benefit us all, they are to make extra revenue.

benisa

Maybe what all sellers should do ( which fill lot don't ) is before selling an item look in the Wanted section before putting up what goodies they have for sale.

As so many times items which are up for grabs some of same thing is in the wanted section.:thumbs:

Then it will not affect the only 2 per month, unless this goes against the grain for Adim:eek:mg:

Whitegoatie

Would you rather pay £30 - £40 per anum to be a member on here?

Or would you rather take advantage of all the forum has to offer for free, with anyone with large amounts of spare kit to sell paying a small commission?

trouble_haul

When you first joined they used to say, 'post and let buy' You know they did, you know they did.

But in this ever changing forum which we live in, makes you give in and cry,

'Post and let buy (subject to a commission if you take the p1ss)'

See what did there? And it's only just gone 8am.

:D

Is this a real change?
Is this just fantasy?
Caught in rule changes
No escape from reality
Login online
look up classifieds and see....
Im just a poor boy, 8% is too much for me
because money comes, money goes
costs too high, never low
how im allowed to sell stuff, really really matters...to meeeeee

Admin, just killed classifieds
put restrictions on the sales
now theres uproar it will fail
Forum, trust had just begun
And now youve gone and taken it away....

Admin....ooo-ooe oohh
dont mean to cause a fuss,
if theyre not back again this time tomorrow
carry on, carry on..cos nothing really matters..to youuuu

i see a little advertisement for a rod!
and a line! and some flies! suiting my requirements
thunderbolts and lightning! post removed by admin!
Me! disappointed (disappointed) disappointed...

As you were gents :whistle:

Whitegoatie

:D

Is this a real change?

Is this just fantasy?

Caught in rule changes

No escape from reality

Login online

look up classifieds and see....

Im just a poor boy, 8% is too much for me

because money comes, money goes

costs too high, never low

how im allowed to sell stuff, really really matters...to meeeeee

Admin, just killed classifieds

put restrictions on the sales

now theres uproar it will fail

Forum, trust had just begun

And now youve gone and taken it away....

Admin....ooo-ooe oohh

dont mean to cause a fuss,

if theyre not back again this time tomorrow

carry on, carry on..cos nothing really matters..to youuuu

i see a little advertisement for a rod!

and a line! and some flies! suiting my requirements

thunderbolts and lightning! post removed by admin!

Me! disappointed (disappointed) disappointed...

As you were gents :whistle:

Very good, bet you don't sell used tackle for a living. :D

trouble_haul

Hehe no, i don't.

In seriousness, i thik a bit more transparency over the reason wouldnt go amiss. I think most people would understand there are costs involved in running the site, and the trade members should be protected for what they pay.

2 per month per section seems to be an allowance that won't impact on the vast majority of people who are genuinely just selling on their own surplus to requirements kit.

Whitegoatie

It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

I think it will be a nightmare for admin, tracking who put what up for sale and when.We will try to cope :)Maybe the system itself will track it and switch it over to panjo once a member completes the free sales

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for all your feedback.
We can see that some of you are a bit worried, but rest assured your classifieds benefits stay the same. Actually you get more as a contributing member as you can sell 2 personal, used items in each classified section should you wish to do so.

This is where the new bit comes in. Should you have e.g. 3 personal used rods to sell in one month, the system will allow you to put up 2 of these rods and will direct you to the "Classifieds using PayPal" section to sell the last one. It is straight forward really.

Fair for all and easier for admin.

sewinbasher

Thank you for all your feedback.
We can see that some of you are a bit worried, but rest assured your classifieds benefits stay the same. Actually you get more as a contributing member as you can sell 2 personal, used items in each classified section should you wish to do so.

This is where the new bit comes in. Should you have e.g. 3 personal used rods to sell in one month, the system will allow you to put up 2 of these rods and will direct you to the "Classifieds using PayPal" section to sell the last one. It is straight forward really.

Fair for all and easier for admin.

Ok Sofi, I understand the process but I'll try again - you say "Fair for all" so what was deemed unfair about the previous regime?

I think you might need to review the policy at the lower value end and where several different types of item are included in one classified section. Not many people will want to sell more than 2 rods or reels at a time, (if they wanted to sell 4 they could have done two yesterday and two more today), but supposing someone want to sell a few books, a couple of DVDs, a net, and some wading gaiters all of which would be under "Other Fishing Equipment", are you seriously suggesting one advert per book/DVD/net and a maximum of two books per month and having to pay to sell items for probably less than a couple of quid each or having to sell over several months?Lets see the light:) if you have a number of books you sell as 1 lot at 1 price,that only counts as 1 item.If you sell each book at a different price they become a separate item.If we see say 4 rods in one post at all different prices we will remove 2 of them unless it is 4 rods at 1 price for all 4 as a job lot

So someone posts 4 books in one lot, I've already got 3 of them but want the other, I either can't buy it or I buy all 4 and then have to sell the 3 I don't want. Oh wait! I can't because under the new "fairer" system I can only sell 2 or hope someone else needs all 3. C'mon give me a break!

It would have taken another 30 seconds to answer the question about what was unfair. I think it's obvious now that for what must be assumed are spurious reasons you are unwilling or too embarrassed to tell the truth.

I'm struggling to see a) any measure of unfairness about the way these items were previously sold or b) any obvious fairness (to sellers) about the new regime - perhaps you could enlighten us?

Last edited:

hannah12

I suppose it's a little too simple to say to all the people who are not happy that if they don't like the rules, don't use the forums.........The forums are to share experiences and advice with members who enjoy flyfishing and fishing in general.

Whitegoatie

I think you need to get past the 'unfair' hurdle.

There was nothing unfair about the old system.

The new system is only unfair if you think paying 8% to shift a lot of gear is unreasonable. I don't think it's unreasonable for admin to profit from this type of selling.

It's not about the seller, why is it unfair to them if they can't sell for free and have to choose between here 8% or EBay nearly 12%?

Last edited:

guest21

I suppose it's a little too simple to say to all the people who are not happy that if they don't like the rules, don't use the forums.........The forums are to share experiences and advice with members who enjoy flyfishing and fishing in general.

Your point in red is correct, but the Forum has also been a place where, once people had established their credentials/trustworthiness (ie. via 100 posts), they could then buy or sell with other members.

There was nothing 'unfair' about the 'system'... it was self-regulated, by grown-ups, who by-and-large knew what they were getting into when they agreed to trade.

The excuse that it's fairer - by charging us all to allow new (and largely unknown) members to trade immediately - is, in my mind, disingenuous. When did it change you still require 100 posts to sell???

Okay, it might offer protection to the buyer (even though Paypal is available for that if required), but the idea that you can join the Forum, make no contribution whatsoever and then offload your gear - under the cloak of respectability that membership affords - is the polar opposite to the spirit of the Forum.

I think if Admin credited us with a little intelligence - and just told us that this was to make revenue to run the Forum - they'd face less resentment in these threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.