Classifieds update.Any questions this should answer them.

Mrtrout

Rob, the trader you are referring to

Quote.
My problem with this site is the amount of individual items put up for sale by certain "traders".......now I completely appreciate they pay to sell, and it is a business but we are bombarded with items that is to the detriment of the site ( in my opinion).......it's just more overpriced secondhand tackle that really the majority aren't interested in.

Is in fact the owner of this forum and a few others, I think he’s entitled to push his own wares. :D
It is tedious though I agree.
S.

lee71

As Rob says, I have always told buyers if not satisfied send it back and I will refund you, I've even sent rods on approval (before payment) and had them sent back but most have bought. I think if you been on here a while you can judge who to trust.

Last edited:

myriad

Administrator
Staff member
Thankyou all for your feedback.

As the system is now just means that the seller is in total control of the sale and the same as if you place an ad in a paper or elsewhere,the seller deals with the buyer themselves.There is no interference from anyone(unless rules are broken),The best thing of all is its still free!If an item doesn't sell in the month,it offers you to relist it again and you delete the previous one.AND again its free.

It has been on our other forums and we have had no problems with it and since we started it on here before the system took over we again have had no problems as those who have sold ,I hope would agree.

The way it is now should not see any more changes to classifieds,of course that is entirely upto the members to play ball.

As for the trade,Steven is correct and its those ads which provide members with a varied forum of topics and sales all free.Even admin at the moment have to put up with the Australian music!I know its a pain.

Thankyou all.

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
My problem with this site is the amount of individual items put up for sale by certain "traders".......now I completely appreciate they pay to sell, and it is a business but we are bombarded with items that is to the detriment of the site ( in my opinion).......

Hi Rob,

I just wanted to follow up on this as we don't want to irritate people obviously. The Thomas Turner posts all go into one place in the classifieds so they shouldn't be bombarding anyone - just don't look at the vintage section if you don't want to see them. Or are they appearing somewhere else that Im not aware of?
I know the ads can be annoying, we are looking at how we can make them less intrusive. The forum is free to you but it does cost money to run. We could look at offering a paid membership for people who don't want to see ads, if that is of interest. At the end of the day we need to fund the forum somehow so if people really hate the ads we could do that instead.
Kirsty

tierradelfuego

As much as an AdBlocker is obviously a good answer for the end user who doesn't like ads, I've always been interested if the Ad company can tell their Ad has been blocked, and therefore don't pay the site. I.e. if everyone of us used an AdBlocker would the forum earn less money and need to put in some other method of making money? This isn't a leading question or anything sinister, I'm just interested Kirsty (or anyone else) if you know the answer.

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
Yes - if people use AdBlockers the ad isn't seen, therefore isn't paid for. I can see why people use them but it doesn't help us unfortunately!

G

guest37226

Thanks Kirsty very interesting response. I did not realise the adds could be tracked for blocking

myriad

Administrator
Staff member
Let us clarify the wanted /swap section of classifieds

It is not a place to try to sell items with statements such as "clear out pm me if you need anything"

As the heading states, you either require or want AN ITEM or You have AN ITEM to swap for another item.

Its not to be used to list a whole load of items and hope a pm will come to BUY it.

If we see this in this section we will firstly remove it and you can then take this as a warning, if the same member does this again we will remove your classifieds status no questions and none answered.

Please just respect the rules as they are and stop trying to infringe them.

roger h 10

I have clearly missed all these 'stabbing' posts.
What do people stab about?
About the price?
Why would anyone sabotage a sale?

In my experience (limited, I admit) the comments on sales threads have only been helpful.
For instance, I was late in trying to buy a reel, and said so. The guy who had already registered his interest saw how gutted I was and very kindly stood aside, and allowed me to buy them.

Other comments I have seen have, say, been saying how great a rod is, etc..
Not once have I seen a post saying something derogatory about an item or the seller.

That said, and on the latter, I imagine there have been sales from dodgy characters (that recent reel, for instance) where a comment advising others to beware might be a good thing?
Have you ever tried selling anything by Hardy on here under the old rules? Best way to start off the anti Hardy Brigade and ruin a sale.

noeyedeer

Hi Myriad, if I read your post correctly the seller has the ability to mark it as sold or reduce the price?
But on my recent post yesterday for a Sage reel there is no edit button to allow me to do this?
Also whilst I appreciate you not wanting other members making comments on the thread could we not allow the OP a maximum of three bumps to highlight the item before it gets buried in the archives.
Thanks S.
Yes!

3 bumps eg 1 per week or within 3 months would negate a pile of clutter in your search results

Without ability to bump, repeat listings will be inevitable and fill up classifieds with unsold posts.

noeyedeer

Re, comments:

I believe positive comments outweigh any negative ones

Just depends if you are glass half full or empty

Eg
Many posts can be poorly described or require further helpful info. A bit of public posting can go a long way to assisting a prospective buyer.

treecutter

How can I post in classifieds as got over 100 posts?.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Mrtrout

Contact myriad by PM and ask for permission, you may have 100 posts but they might not tick the criteria required.
S.