Cleaning fly lines

h49

As all of us, not been fishing for a while, and now's probably the time to clean my fly lines which are all on the reels. I have a bottle of line slick, just thinking of the best way to clean them? Want to be ready for the time we can get back to fishing 🎣 🤔

ohanzee

Waiting for a national lock down to clean your line is quite extreme, some do it before or after every day on water.

Take the corner off an old cloth or towel and put some slick on, then just slide it along the line.

T_James

Tom Rosenbauer from Orvis recommends running your line through kitchen paper. The resulting friction also helps rejuvenate the coating.

He doesn't recommend any line treatments as these provide in effect an adhesive for dirt and algae when your line is in use.

His words not mine - although I have no adopted his recommendations having previously used Snowbee Line Slick.

PaulD

Best way to 'clean' lines is to have a sink or bowl of lukewarm water to which you add a drop, that's one drop, of washing up liquid. Unspoilt the line into loose coils in the water and swish it around for a bit. Then, dry the line using a soft cloth. After that apply your line lube, whizz lube or whatever you favour.

speytime

I've never had the need for a high floating line until the middle of last season, even then the tip sinking didn't create any problems, i actually suspected that the taper was pulling it down more than sinking?
I never ever clean my inters I like it as is, if I clean it I'll need to use a few times to get sinking on contact with the water again. My floaters get a occasional clean with a rag or baby wips, at £1 a pack baby wipes are worth buying imo.
I use line slick and barrio line treatment, the Barrio gets buffed off so leaves nothing to stick to afaik, the Snowbee I leave lying until it is dry again I can't see how anything would stick to it?
Coincidently I'd used snowbee line slick on my mxc gold before reading what Tom Rosenbaur says, I'll pay close attention when I'm spooling the line shortly.

Al

speytime

Best way to 'clean' lines is to have a sink or bowl of lukewarm water to which you add a drop, that's one drop, of washing up liquid. Unspoilt the line into loose coils in the water and swish it around for a bit. Then, dry the line using a soft cloth. After that apply your line lube, whizz lube or whatever you favour.
What makes that the best?
It sounds like a bit of unnecessary hassle for the same end job as a wet rag or baby wipe, untangling 100ft of line x 8 isn't appealing in the slightest 😕... But if I'm missing something then I might have a different view?

Cheers Al

PaulD

What makes that the best?
It sounds like a bit of unnecessary hassle for the same end job as a wet rag or baby wipe, untangling 100ft of line x 8 isn't appealing in the slightest 😕... But if I'm missing something then I might have a different view?

. . . and there's no need to do all 8 lines at the same time. 👍

Cheers Al
Depends if you want them clean or merely spread the muck about a bit.

How are you going to apply your baby wipe to 100ft (?) of line if you don't unspool it from the reel?

speytime

Depends if you want them clean or merely spread the muck about a bit.

How are you going to apply your baby wipe to 100ft (?) of line if you don't unspool it from the reel?
I pull the line through the baby wipe/wet cloth and let it drop onto a towel, I'll do it a couple of times dry it then use line slick or barrio line treatment.

Al

wjg

On my screen its next to the report in 3 dashes and a down pointing character.
Al
T Jim's screen is like mine. I have Report, Like and Reply as the only options to click.
So as I post this I see Edit. Is it a timed out edit button?

speytime

T Jim's screen is like mine. I have Report, Like and Reply as the only options to click.
So as I post this I see Edit. Is it a timed out edit button?
That's odd isn't it.
Screenshot_20200425-163048.png
You can see I've got a something to edit, thankfully... I need to use it regularly 🤭
Edit...

Al

Last edited:

wjg

So if the edit button remains indefinitely, one could go back and correct any sentence with unsubstantiated bs and carry on? I understand correcting spelling or grammar etc. Changing what you have stated yesterday is another story.

speytime

So if the edit button remains indefinitely, one could go back and correct any sentence with unsubstantiated bs and carry on? I understand correcting spelling or grammar etc. Changing what you have stated yesterday is another story.
Yes you could, but it'll say post edited at the time, which will be well out from the original post.
I've just added Edit to the my op above it says what time I've edited it, as will this post.

Al

wjg

Thanks Al. I thought I had edited my post @12. Perhaps changed it before actually posting. I'm really not a Luddite. Just want to be.

snow white

I attach my line to fence with big sea swivel pull line off keeping it of ground my wife walks al the line with damp cloth to clean it then with clean cloth she walks back along the line applying snow bee oil

hobnobdude

I attach my line to fence with big sea swivel pull line off keeping it of ground my wife walks al the line with damp cloth to clean it then with clean cloth she walks back along the line applying snow bee oil
Well trained

Tommy Ruffe

I've found the best, and easiest way to clean a fly line is to fold a sheet of kitchen roll into a pad and lightly spray it with clean water and draw the line through a couple of times. You'd be surprised at the amount of dirt removed and without potentially damaging soaps, detergents or other additives.

Lubricate floating lines with Barrio Line Care