Cleaning fly lines

speytime

Wouldn't it defeat its purpose if it was sticky?
I use Snowbee and Barrio now but I used a spray tin of dash shine for years, I've never had any trouble with dirt sticking to the line beyond what you get with a wet line.
I used snowbee line slick last night again, after a hour the line feels dry to touch, its not remotely sticky in any way.

Al

h49

I got myself a gadget called a smart spooler ages ago. They were expensive to buy initially but later on I got one off ebay less than half price. I have it fixed in place and it can be used with an electric drill to make spooling and unspooling lines and backing a doddle. For instance when I buy a new line I put it on the reel spool first and then ad the backing until the spool is filled to the correct level. The S Spooler then allows me to run the backing onto one side and then the fly line on the other. Then I run the backing onto the reel followed by the fly line and the result is a perfectly filled spool without any guessing or trial and error and takes no longer than writing this post.
Cleaning a line with this is a doddle, I bung the reel onto the but section of a rod holding the tip of the fly line between a bit of old towel(old and rough is best) or microfiber cloth or tissue. I wind onto the spooler gripping gently to provide a little resistance and note how much dirt is on the cloth/towel etc and if it's bogging I will run it back onto the reel through the cloth. When I'm happy with how clean the line is I wind it onto the spooler through another piece of towel that has a few drops of whichever is your preferred line slicking agent and back onto the reel the same way. It has taken me a lot longer the write this post than it does to clean a couple of lines.
Thank you, very informative, wonder if you could put a picture up of the smart spooler please....so I can see in detail how it works using the drill?

speytime

This is what I use for winding lines on and off, most will have an old extension or hose reel?
I can remove a line or backing for re spooling in seconds, it's great for storing multiple lines on as well 👍
Oh and it'll last forever almost, the lines spoolers aren't the most reliable of tools.

Al

pedros

If you're cleaning your lines, don't forget give your rod rings a little wipe out...
I find it important to clean inters and sinking too, I feel they pick up as much grit and grime. Run through a cloth dipped in the washing up bowl - washing liquid is a degreaser so helps keep the lines sinking...
Same process for floaters, but after drying use LineSlick then run finish through a micro fibre cloth. Very 'slick' process which I do in the kitchen and doesn't take long - usually on a Friday night if fishing at the weekend.

buzzer1234

I still have a big spray can of armorall - Used it a couple of times but didn't really fancy it - It collected a lot of sand grit dirt etc. Being a small to medium stream angler, I only cast relatively short distances anyway.

Now that I've remembered about that, I'll see if I can dig it out, because my dashboard of my car is a bit manky (I'm not one for keeping things too clean) - got plenty time on my hands at the moment.

Douglas
Don’t put it on your steering wheel!!

stevie d

Thank you, very informative, wonder if you could put a picture up of the smart spooler please....so I can see in detail how it works using the drill?
The pictures show the spooler with its manual winding handle on and then removed to attach the drill. I have also tried to show the dip in the centre to separate backing and fly lines. There are other types of line winder available and such gadgets make line cleaning a doddle but this one makes spooling new lines and backing easier as well. The drum can be removed with the line and or backing still on there and soaked in fresh water. Handy to rinse off after fishing in the sea.

Attachments

Last edited:

speytime

The comment about them not being, not the most reliable tools was referring to the metal winders with multiple joints.
The pictures show the spooler with its manual winding handle on and then removed to attach the drill. I have also tried to show the dip in the centre to separate backing and fly lines.
That looks ideal, I've never seen one before, my cable reel isn't to far from that.

Al

speytime

The pictures show the spooler with its manual winding handle on and then removed to attach the drill. I have also tried to show the dip in the centre to separate backing and fly lines. There are other types of line winder available and such gadgets make line cleaning a doddle but this one makes spooling new lines and backing easier as well. The drum can be removed with the line and or backing still on there and soaked in fresh water. Handy to rinse off after fishing in the sea.
Can I ask where you got your line winder, I googled them but I can only see the metal type, or the wooden silk line winder/drier, none like yours.

Thanks Al

jeffhirst

Al
See this article

stevie d

Can I ask where you got your line winder, I googled them but I can only see the metal type, or the wooden silk line winder/drier, none like yours.

Thanks Al
I saw a review in Trout Fisherman I think(a while back now) but as I said the price was prohibitive. One day I was just looking on ebay in the other fly-fishing section and a seller had them on sale(clearance) at under half price and I snapped one up.