Clearwater 9' #9 for pike?

goldeneye243

Hi,

Just wondering if the Orvis clearwater #9 would be suitable for pike fishing (as well as general saltwater use).

Thanks in advance!

richfish1

Hi,

Just wondering if the Orvis clearwater #9 would be suitable for pike fishing (as well as general saltwater use).

Thanks in advance!
Absolutely it would. I know a couple of people with that rod, and that's exactly what they use it for. Pike and Bass.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Scotty90

I use the Clearwater 9 weight and a loop booster, which is a pike rod, and the Clearwater is perfectly good to use, not too much different to be honest. A 9 weight is a 9 weight at the end of the day. I find really fast rods a bit of a pain with the big flies because timing needs to be a bit better with tighter loops and faster line speed to get the best out of them, fast line speeds and tight loops with big heavy flies doesn’t feel so nice. Deeper loading rods feel better for the big flies IMO.

Anyway that’s a bit of a tangent, the Clearwater is a fine rod for pike. I had a 23lb croc on mines in August and it handled it more than fine.

andygrey

For pike the choice of rod is often secondary to the choice of line. You want something at the top end of the AFTM rating and with a short and aggressive taper. Mike Barrio makes very good ones...

Scotty90

For pike the choice of rod is often secondary to the choice of line. You want something at the top end of the AFTM rating and with a short and aggressive taper. Mike Barrio makes very good ones...

Definately true, in my shpiel I should have mentioned lines but got carried away. I use vision big momma lines, they are very good. I’ve not tried barrio lines for pike but the trout lines are great

goldeneye243

Thanks all! They're is also the Shakespeare agility 2 xps that might be another option - probably with a Barrio line...

jerryrum

For those of you who have already replied,

Would you use a 9' rod on a canal, or are you mainly fishing large still waters?

I struggle with anything longer than 7'6" when casting on a towpath.

Scotty90

I’d probably just use a spinning rod and a weed less lure on my nearest canal but I’d be looking at ten pound shopping trolleys and not pike

Latest posts