Fly Fishing Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts
They have them on plywood platforms on telegraph poles down south. They are good at moving in on something provided as a nest heap starter. Not renowned as good builders apparently. By St Mary's Loch we put a board on a tree with a branchwood mess on top and plenty splashings of Dulux white gloss around it. Straight on next spring !!

We have a strong population of osprey and bald head eagles. In air, territorial disputes over estuaries are common and fantastic to watch. One river I fish has an eagle that soars high until an osprey dives for a fish. He will then harass the smaller osprey until it drops it's catch and scoop down to catch it and feed his nest.

I tried looking up their numbers. From what I found, I drew this graph...

The figure for 2021 said between 200 and 250 pairs, so I put in 225. It looks like the curve might be flattening out? I wonder if this is an indication that they are approaching their maximum numbers? I couldn't find any figures for historical numbers before persecution wiped them out. If they approach equilibrium in Scotland, it might mean they spread out naturally to the rest of the British Isles??? :unsure:

Col
A few years back I talked to a man who lived outside Lairg. He told me that he knew of a successful breeding osprey pair through the 30's, 40's and 50's. In those days with communication and photography of the time I saw no reason to doubt him.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.