Closest rivers to Essex

Spen79

Hi all

After a couple of years fishing my local still waters and reservoirs I’m hoping to get out to try some river fishing soon.

Through spending most of my spare time in lockdown watching river fishing videos on YouTube, I’ve gathered together what seems to be most of the kit for light fly and straight line nymphing, now I’m on the lookout for the closest rivers to Essex to get the kit wet in.

I’m hoping this forum will have some good knowledge of rivers up and down the country, and will be able to point me in the right direction please.

TIA
Spencer

kingf000

Where about in Essex? There is the upper Cam near Saffron Walden, the Cambridge Fly Fishers at Duxford and the Lark in South Suffolk between Mildenhall and Bury St. Edmunds, all just in or near Essex. I don't know of any others. In this month's T&S there is an advert for trout fishing in NW Essex, tel. 07966 441336.

There are lots of small rivers that in the upper reaches could, theoretically, hold trout, many fed from chalk. Eg. the upper Chelmer used to be a trout fishery many years ago but, sadly, no longer.

Latest posts