Closure of Willersley Castle Hotel

kingf000

I've just noticed that the owners of Willersley Castle hotel on the banks of the Derbyshire Derwent are not re-opening after the covid close-down. This was one of the few hotels that offered high quality trout and grayling fishing to residents on the Derbyshire County stretch, just a short walk down the hill from the hotel. I've stayed there many times and will miss it, especially as I could get B&B for £45 per night or even less in winter!

chase

Real shame - Fishing destinations are hard to find - Is that it for good ?
To be honest I didnt know it existed or offered fishing .

kingf000

Th
Real shame - Fishing destinations are hard to find - Is that it for good ?
To be honest I didnt know it existed or offered fishing .
The fishing is excellent - especially for winter grayling. The hotel has been bought by Carlauren, who own hotels in the south west, but they were reported to have gone into receivership! So eventually it may re-open.

uptomyknee_s

Th

The fishing is excellent - especially for winter grayling. The hotel has been bought by Carlauren, who own hotels in the south west, but they were reported to have gone into receivership! So eventually it may re-open.
I stayed there in 2017 for a weekend and I have to agree the fishing was great. Some really nice grayling. However reading the reviews on TripAdvisor it seems the writing has been on the wall for some time.

kingf000

I stayed there in 2017 for a weekend and I have to agree the fishing was great. Some really nice grayling. However reading the reviews on TripAdvisor it seems the writing has been on the wall for some time.
Yes, it was rated as a 3 star hotel but the decor was somewhat tired and the evening food not great. That said it was quite cheap, a good breakfast, sold the great local Wolds Farm beer and just a short walk down to the river. What more can you ask for?

original cormorant

Yes, it was rated as a 3 star hotel but the decor was somewhat tired and the evening food not great. That said it was quite cheap, a good breakfast, sold the great local Wolds Farm beer and just a short walk down to the river. What more can you ask for?
The river is still there , what's happening to the fishing?