Clywedog

Rob Edmunds

Well we are just back from another 3 action packed days on Clywedog..( thankfully we are not under any restrictions and nor are they, so it was nice to be able to travel and fish somewhere different)

I have to say that if there is a better stillwater fishery in Wales then I'm unaware of it.....in fact it's in my Top 3 favourite stillwaters anywhere...I think I would only put Grafham and Draycote above it, and then only just !

I love that the boats are spotless and perfectly maintained, even eyelets to hook your drogue onto. The jetty is brilliant especially the individual moorings that allow you to get kit on and off.....why can't Anglian Water adopt a simular set up ??...Russ and Gazza do a brilliant job and it's easy to see that they care passionately about what they do ......their high standards are reflected in the fishery.

Clywedog is remote, and the scenery is breathtaking I love looking down on the Dam and the numerous arms and bays that allow you to "tuck in" even to escape the windy weather.

For our latest trip conditions weren't great 8 to 12c each day with 12 to 15mph winds, gusting 20 mph, overcast with light rain and very occasional sunny intervals.....which I thought it was pretty good given the time of year, and that we were on top of a mountain in Wales 😁!

Still we averaged over a dozen fish each a day, and that was even though we moved about rather than staying on the fish..

Some of the arms had badly coloured up, I guess as the rain had come off the hills and into the feeder streams, meaning that fishing was restricted ( if you wanted to catch ) to the half way up the Bigga Arm to the little Dam at the opposite end of the fishery - still that's a large amount of water.

Our best tactics were a floater with size 12 and 14 black dries on 6lb leader, or a Tip line (3ft fast tip ,6ft or 12ft slow tip) with a mixture of cormorants, hoppers and dabblers on the droppers and a size 12 candy booby point, fished basically on the drop or ultra slow figure of 8.....as the majority of the fish are in the top 3ft .

Morning and the Tip lines would definitely score best, but once the day warmed up around 1 o clock we would switch to dries with outstanding results, by 4.30pm there were a lot of fish on top, especially in any slicks or wind lanes.

Best fish was a stunning 10lb 12oz rainbow caught by my wife on a size 12 black shuttlecock ( past A buoy) just before the start of the Sailing Club...

I had Blues, Browns and Rainbows and a brilliant time.....

We stayed in the Y Starr Inn which although remote is absolutely perfect for anglers, good clean rooms, good food, nice bar , quiet and just 15 mins from the lodge.. I thoroughly recommend it

IMG-20201011-WA0061.jpg

Screenshot_20201011-144130_WhatsApp.jpg
20201009_175802~2.jpg

Attachments

• 20201009_093937~3.jpg
    20201009_093937~3.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 20201009_093935~2.jpg
    20201009_093935~2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
Last edited: