Coarse fishing tickets on the Lower Wye?

stevel

I have a day salmon fishing Bigsweir through a member draw by the Wye Salmon Association in June; a friend of mine from Bath who's a coarse fisherman was thinking of meeting up with me for a pint and a meal and do some coarse fishing as well.
Does anyone know of any coarse fishing day tickets near to Bigsweir? I'm sure that some barbel fishing was once offered by a member of Cadora through the Monnow auctions at one stage, however the Fishing Passport only shows Wyastone Leys as the closest venue allowing coarse fishing (also confirmed by my inquiry to Fishing Passport admin).

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:

Mr Notherone

I have a day salmon fishing Bigsweir through a member draw by the Wye Salmon Association in June; a friend of mine from Bath who's a coarse fisherman was thinking of meeting up with me for a pint and a meal and do some coarse fishing as well.
Does anyone know of any coarse fishing day tickets near to Bigsweir? I'm sure that some barbel fishing was once offered by a member of Cadora through the Monnow auctions at one stage, however the Fishing Passport only shows Wyastone Leys as the closest venue allowing coarse fishing (also confirmed by my inquiry to Fishing Passport admin).

Thanks,
Steve

I had the same question a few years ago from an Irish friend of mine who wanted the fish the Wye. He couldn't find a day ticket other than through the passport. Monmouth & District Angling have water on the Wye but it's not available during the Salmon season. Worth noting...it can't be more than 15 mins drive from Bigsweir to Wyastone Leys ?
Good luck

charlieH

Don't know if this is any help, but if you take a day at Cadora Backs, the option of an additional coarse rod (on the upper part of the beat) is included in the price. It's the next beat but one upstream from Bigsweir, so only a few minutes' drive. It's only a small beat, but it's so close to Bigsweir that you could in fact nip to and fro and fish both places in rotation, while your friend fished Cadora Backs.

stevel

Don't know if this is any help, but if you take a day at Cadora Backs, the option of an additional coarse rod (on the upper part of the beat) is included in the price. It's the next beat but one upstream from Bigsweir, so only a few minutes' drive. It's only a small beat, but it's so close to Bigsweir that you could in fact nip to and fro and fish both places in rotation, while your friend fished Cadora Backs.
That's fantastic, thank you very much! I think I will do that, rather than having my friend miles away, and maybe even take the Sunday as well to make a nice weekend of it.
Cheers,
Steve

Just checked with Fishing Passport only the Thursday is available (not sure if that's the only day they can do) so unfortunately I'll have to find another venue. :cry: A great find however!

Last edited:

stevel

I had the same question a few years ago from an Irish friend of mine who wanted the fish the Wye. He couldn't find a day ticket other than through the passport. Monmouth & District Angling have water on the Wye but it's not available during the Salmon season. Worth noting...it can't be more than 15 mins drive from Bigsweir to Wyastone Leys ?
Good luck
Yes by Google it's 16 minutes drive or 9.2 miles, but it would be nice to just chat throughout the day rather than just at lunch or the end of the day, as I haven't seen him for 10 years

charlieH

Just checked with Fishing Passport only the Thursday is available (not sure if that's the only day they can do) so unfortunately I'll have to find another venue. :cry: A great find however!

Yes, sorry about that, I should perhaps have mentioned it. There are regular season rods who have it Mon-Weds, and the owner keeps Fri-Sun for himself. As a supporter of WUF since its inception, I think he basically donates Thursdays through the season to them, and they get to keep the revenue from the lettings.

It's a nice little beat, and can be productive if you hit it right - in the not too distant past you would not infrequently have seen reports on the Fishing Passport site of 'MH from St Briavels' getting two or three fish in a day from it, though MH is now closer to 90 than 80 and his fishing effort isn't quite what it was! I would say, though, that if you want to fish it hard for a full day you might feel yourself a bit short of water - it's ideally suited to someone who lives quite locally and can put in a few hours in the morning and evening and do something else for the rest of the day. But it could also suit someone who coarse fishes as well, so could fish for salmon early and late, and spend the middle day dozing under their green umbrella! :sleep:

Latest posts