Coarse rod piece length

Teme fisher

Trout rods seem to be 4 piece as standard with a piece length of under 3ft.
Why are coarse rods still mainly 4+ft piece lengths?

BobP

Probably because most coarse rods are considerably longer than trout fly rods. I suspect it might be quite expensive to make a 6 piece 13' coarse rod.

wobbly face

A fair few anomalies with coarse rods:
Beast Master  BMA 9  11 pellet waggler.jpg

Not too bad but the feeder version!!!!
Beast Master BMBX 9  11 feeder.jpg

As Bob posted, rod length main issue. Carp rods tend to be 2 piece no matter the length, well in my time of buying carp rods. Other rods came in 3 piece. I do have 2 Korum Quod rods, 12ft and 4 piece.
I do have a 3 piece 7.6ft fly rod yet also have a 6ft 4 piece rod. Going back to my early days of fly fishing, most rods came as 2 piece from 8ft to 10ft.
Sea rods as bad for section lengths. Have you measured the butt section of a 16 meter pole?

Teme fisher

Probably because most coarse rods are considerably longer than trout fly rods. I suspect it might be quite expensive to make a 6 piece 13' coarse rod.
Sounds right. I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be the option widely available though. With a young family it's much easier (and less stressful) to sneak a modern 4 piece fly rod in the boot of the car than my old 2 piece on the back seat if fishing is a possible activity when going away.