Cock Hackles

mackiia1

Hopefully someone can advise on this - What are the best type of Cock Hackles to buy for tying small Dries - size 18 to 20 ?
Should I buy a Neck Cape or a Micro Barb Saddle ?

Also what Brand and where to buy one?
Thanks
Ian

mackiia1

Saddles gives you more flies of a particular size than capes. Capes give you more sizes.
I have Whiting's "Silver Rooster Saddle", Midge sizes. Whiting's do state hook sizes, 16 to 18 and such. The one I've got is suitable for 22 to 24.
Thanks.

Would this be the one -.

wobbly face

Thanks.

Would this be the one -.

It's not the one I got but that should do very well. (y)

mackiia1

I don't tie many dries but have found these packs good. Not sure if they will tie 18s and 20s.

Would be great if size is right.
Just been talking to a friend and he thinks the Galway Fly Fishing Fair may go ahead this year .
I would pick up something there if its on.

wobbly face

Where do you buy , if you don't mind me asking.?
I've recently bought Collins capes from Funky Fly Tying (BFFi) mainly so I had a good look at them. A few of my Whitings has been due to deceased friends of acquaintances (I was asked what worth the fishing gear was) so bought at a good price and monies went to charity. Lakeland and Lathkil
I also got a very nice half Whiting cape from a small fly fair near me, not been on last 2 years due to covid.

mackiia1

I've recently bought Collins capes from Funky Fly Tying (BFFi) mainly so I had a good look at them. A few of my Whitings has been due to deceased friends of acquaintances (I was asked what worth the fishing gear was) so bought at a good price and monies went to charity. Lakeland and Lathkil
I also got a very nice half Whiting cape from a small fly fair near me, not been on last 2 years due to covid.
Thanks - I'll wait to see if the Galway Fair goes ahead . If not , I'll try one of those sites and Pat Nolan.
Thanks for the replies fellas.

LDO

I have drifted away from hackled dry flies because I have found they are harder to revive after a fish than cdc or deer hair. I also have found died hackle to be considerably less floatable than natural. The best results I've had have been from a grizzly cape - a good all round feather.
I have a died saddle in a lovely blue dun colour ideal for 18s, but the flies sink too quickly.

pati

Call Lakeland, tell him the size and colour and he ll get you the right pack of flies.
I no longer buy full or half saddles. Much better to buy a pack of a dozen feathers (which typically allows for about a 100 flies) so you can always get the size and colour you need.

shortcircuit

If you are tying plenty of different sizes, then the cape is the best job, they are also a bit cheaper. If you are focusing on just tying loads and loads in a narrow band of sizes say 18-20 then a saddle will be best.

That being said, I don't go through a huge amount of flies and fish mainly 16-20 with the odd 14 for use in dry dropper. I got a couple of capes at the Galway show a few years ago and I have barely made a dent in them.

pvthubbard

You could try Nature's spirit Dry fly cape tops, sizes 14-24 amongst others. Various colours and not the expense of a full cape. Think I got them from Funkyflytying. Good quality.

Latest posts