Fly Fishing Forum banner

Cock Hackles

3K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  mackiia1 
#1 ·
Hopefully someone can advise on this - What are the best type of Cock Hackles to buy for tying small Dries - size 18 to 20 ?
Should I buy a Neck Cape or a Micro Barb Saddle ?

Also what Brand and where to buy one?
Thanks
Ian

#12 ·
Would be great if size is right.
Just been talking to a friend and he thinks the Galway Fly Fishing Fair may go ahead this year .
I would pick up something there if its on.

#17 ·
I have drifted away from hackled dry flies because I have found they are harder to revive after a fish than cdc or deer hair. I also have found died hackle to be considerably less floatable than natural. The best results I've had have been from a grizzly cape - a good all round feather.
I have a died saddle in a lovely blue dun colour ideal for 18s, but the flies sink too quickly.

#19 ·
If you are tying plenty of different sizes, then the cape is the best job, they are also a bit cheaper. If you are focusing on just tying loads and loads in a narrow band of sizes say 18-20 then a saddle will be best.

That being said, I don't go through a huge amount of flies and fish mainly 16-20 with the odd 14 for use in dry dropper. I got a couple of capes at the Galway show a few years ago and I have barely made a dent in them.

#23 ·
All depends what you want to spend.I have a few pro midge capes.Good for the likes of griffiths gnats.One of my favourite type dry flies is a polypropylene wing emerger with a few turns of hackle clipped on the underside.With this style of fly.I sometimes even split my thread & inserted oversized cheap hackle.Basicaly making small flies from big hackle.Love this type fly for dry dropper.For just dry fly i use ones that are sparser in the wing.They float great with little maintenance required.

Attachments

#24 ·
Appreciate all the comments Lads.
I now know what I need and where to get it. I'll probably bite the bullet and get the Pro Grade Midge Saddle from Clonanav here in Ireland . Buying stuff from the UK is just as expensive these days.
Thanks again.
Ian

#26 ·
I have decided to drive up to Pat Nolan's, Premier Angling on Monday.
If I'm going to spend money on 2 expensive Saddles then I suppose I'd be better off having a look at them .
I need a few more bits and pieces for an upcoming fishing trip so might as well get them all on Monday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.