Colliford Carp; and lost BIG trout

Rhithrogena

Had an evening at Colliford last night. Started at the top of Lord's Waste (great name, eh?).
IMG_20210528_211140696_HDR-01.jpeg

Set up for trout but but an hour with no takes saw me switching to carp. They are gathering in their hundreds all along the shore in a pre-spawning frenzy.
There were vees from cruising pods of fish all along the margins and sight casting a l/s #10 John Gale Nymph in front of one, and a rapid figure-8 soon saw a fish accelerate away from the pod and whomp my fly!
IMG_20210528_191819567_HDR-01.jpeg

Bloody hell these fish are fun. This one whizzed fly line plus a good 60 yards of backing off in it's first run. It then had the good manners to allow me to lead it all the way back with sidestrain and after a couple more shorter runs and surges and wallows I slid it over the net. After a few more attempts the nearby fish moved away.
If any one wants a chance at a truly wild double figure carp on the fly, get thyself to Colliford now. I cast at (and spooked) a fish that had me quaking, easily 20lbs plus. The boil as it spooked was like a pig landing in the lake.
Now that would be fun on the little Maxcatch 😂
Later on a really good rise started and I had a couple of trout, a small wildie and a stockie and hooked the biggest trout I have ever hooked up there. It took my usual DHS and was a very strong fish, boring down and zigzagging. I played it until I was thinking off the net and with a back cartwheel it flipped the hook. I saw it clearly and it was one of the beautiful fully-spotted golden fish, of maybe 4lbs. Gutted. A few minutes later and another good fish took the point fly, a black Bits, and broke me after a couple of runs. Wind knot. Double gutted!! Bad angling!!
I am making the most of my castabout season ticket for southwestlakes, I can tell you!

PaulD

Had an evening at Colliford last night. Started at the top of Lord's Waste (great name, eh?).

Bloody hell these fish are fun. This one whizzed fly line plus a good 60 yards of backing off in it's first run. It then had the good manners to allow me to lead it all the way back with sidestrain and after a couple more shorter runs and surges and wallows I slid it over the net.

Indeed they are! Last Wednesday, while waiting for my first group of kids to arrive, I had a speculative cast and caught a Koi Carp of about the same size. First run had the corks creaking in the 9ft, 5wt!

Rhithrogena

Indeed they are! Last Wednesday, while waiting for my first group of kids to arrive, I had a speculative cast and caught a Koi Carp of about the same size. First run had the corks creaking in the 9ft, 5wt!
Aah, is this the well-known school with it's own lakes and fly-fishing club?

Rhithrogena

With a chainsaw and a few hundred stones of gravel you could make that place a lot more fishable, perhaps a toilet block and bacon butty kiosk as well, and a chain cutter would remove some of the reed growth. :whistle:
Don't forget the 'gutting room' 😬

Whitehackle

View attachment 39698
Set up for trout but but an hour with no takes saw me switching to carp. They are gathering in their hundreds all along the shore in a pre-spawning frenzy.
There were vees from cruising pods of fish all along the margins and sight casting a l/s #10 John Gale Nymph in front of one, and a rapid figure-8 soon saw a fish accelerate away from the pod and whomp my fly!
View attachment 39697
Bloody hell these fish are fun. This one whizzed fly line plus a good 60 yards of backing off in it's first run. It then had the good manners to allow me to lead it all the way back with sidestrain and after a couple more shorter runs and surges and wallows I slid it over the net. After a few more attempts the nearby fish moved away.
If any one wants a chance at a truly wild double figure carp on the fly, get thyself to Colliford now. I cast at (and spooked) a fish that had me quaking, easily 20lbs plus. The boil as it spooked was like a pig landing in the lake.
Now that would be fun on the little Maxcatch 😂
Later on a really good rise started and I had a couple of trout, a small wildie and a stockie and hooked the biggest trout I have ever hooked up there. It took my usual DHS and was a very strong fish, boring down and zigzagging. I played it until I was thinking off the net and with a back cartwheel it flipped the hook. I saw it clearly and it was one of the beautiful fully-spotted golden fish, of maybe 4lbs. Gutted. A few minutes later and another good fish took the point fly, a black Bits, and broke me after a couple of runs. Wind knot. Double gutted!! Bad angling!!
I am making the most of my castabout season ticket for southwestlakes, I can tell you!
Do you often target carp? Or any other course fish? I have access to a pond that is full of carp, tench and bream. I would like to fish for them with a fly rod. What flies and tactics do you use?

I was going to target the carp on bread and biscuit flies, on the surface. But it would be good to fish subsurface as well

Thanks

Rhithrogena

Do you often target carp? Or any other course fish? I have access to a pond that is full of carp, tench and bream. I would like to fish for them with a fly rod. What flies and tactics do you use?

I was going to target the carp on bread and biscuit flies, on the surface. But it would be good to fish subsurface as well

Thanks
I often targeted pike, dace and chub on fly many years ago. Recently I staryed casting to the wild carp at Colliford, which cruise the margins and are very visible in the shallow, clear water. I found they will take a John Gale nymph, and this is the only pattern I use but I am sure many different flies would work. I am far from expert, but have landed around a dozen or so up to 10lbs. Very good fun indeed 👍