Colour of fishing clothing???

Waltyluft

Hi

I'm looking to buy a new very lightweight waterproof to carry/wear in warmer conditions.

I've started looking at walking/mountaineering jackets as there is little choice in very lightweight specific fishing coats.

My question is: how important is colour??

(The jacket I like best is only available locally in orange!! I was going to avoid it for that reason but it seems the likes of Simms and Vision produce orange jackets so is it a bad thing??)

mackiia1

The burnt Orange colour looks nice - but I prefer to wear stuff where I won't stick out like a sore thumb - especially on rivers when fishing for spooky wild trout.

Wee Jimmy

Hi Don...I do know that wearing bright orange or yellow is recommended if we want to be seen so conversely it must follow that those colours would be a bad thing if we don't want to be seen....:D

easker1

personally I like dark colours but a good Cammo jacket will break up your out line against the sky or bank,or you could get a sky blue one and totally disappear,but Orange NoNoNo, easker1

taffy1

Haha! :D Reminds me of an old angling acquaintance who wore a fairly bright red jacket, he'd say " I've come to catch fish not bloody hide from them!"

Rob Edmunds

The Simms and Vision jackets are not a really bright orange.....but they are still a little too bright in my opinion.

I had the Vision jacket in the more sombre mustard colour...it lasted 4 months before it started to leak :mad:

Simms are supposedly the best waterproofs out there, however I'm not going to pay £300+ for something to throw in the bottom of a boat and get covered in mud and fish slime.

I've had the following breathable waterproof fishing clothing over the years :-

Hardy
Musto
Nomad
Barbour
Vision
Greys
Daiwa
Orvis

All of it expensive rubbish that didn't last 6 months before leaking (the exception being Musto that lasted a full 12 - 14 months) then it was attempts to reproof the coats with Nix Way etc...again not worth the effort.

For the last 12 months I've used a Vass-Tex PVC jacket and a Grundens Bib & Brace.....not exactly stylish but 100% waterproof and very hard wearing.

I'd opt for a lightweight Pvc jacket

wobbly face

Anything drab. Which does include burnt orange. :rolleyes: Typical US of A. :eek:mg:
I don't think we need to go cammo and it depends on where you fish!
reservoirs or open waters then you can get away with greys (usually the colour of the sky :rolleyes:), if amongst vegetation then drab olives.
Black can be as bright as orange and yellow. :eek:
Why do my wading boot have bright lime green on them? :confused::confused::confused:
I prefer not to be seen by humans. As for trout, must take more care next time. :D:D

hydropsyched

Cammo and drab colours are invaluable for hiding from the general public and avoiding the usual bombardment with the same old questions. "are you fishing mister?" "no I'm baking a cake, whats it look like?"

G

guest54

They painted reconnaissance spitfires pink during the war, made them harder to see and target, Food for thought?.:D

tiddler1

Orange is great for when you fall in a fast flowing river to assist helpers.:thumbs:

mrnotherone

Whether a trout can spot you in bright orange is perhaps debatable. The question of bad taste is not. I hope the fashion police throw the book at you. :)

Vermontdrifter

I have the Vision Sade in burnt orange so that my body will be recovered before it is swept out to sea and I have worn an electric blue water proof and still caught fish. I think it's more about not letting yourself be outlined against the sky or letting your shadow spook the fish.

Last edited:
G

guest54

Bright orange or yellow is a good colour in those places where you might be mistaken for a moose and shot.:D

Waltyluft

Thanks for all the replies.

Ha ha, if I'd realised I could cause so much offence to so many people just by wearing an orange jacket whilst fishing, I'd have just bought one without asking the question.....:D:D

young jon

Banned
Banned
Just take a shovel and pretend to dig a hole if anyone looks at you funny