Coloured cormorants?

11foot5

I was thinking of tying up some different coloured cormorants. I normally use just black or white wings with the occasional olive. Has anyone had success with different colours, say peach, coral or sunburst etc etc??

BobP

No reason why it wouldn't work, but then it wouldn't be a Cormorant. Don't know about anyone else, but I've yet to see a peach coloured cormorant flying past!

I think that if 11foot5 looks deeper he'll find that it's been done before. We used marabou winged mini lures back in the 1980's and 1990's using peach and coral marabou. No reason why they shouldn't be revived though. They caught plenty of fish back then as did one with a bright yellow wing which we named the Paxo fly.

Rob Edmunds

Claret wing with Claret Peacock Herl body and red holo rib always works well for me in a size 12.

Coral wing mirage body....size 12

Obviously Black variants my go to patterns...but the above 2 patterns are worth a swim when the fish go off the blobs and boobies due to pressure etc..

original cormorant

Lots of variations on cormorant. I've tried olive and orange wings but not impressed.
I vary the body so my main varieties are peacock herl with gold or silver rib, pearly, silver, red or green holographic. Sometimes I add a red tag - but does that make it a butcher?

BobP

Lots of variations on cormorant. I've tried olive and orange wings but not impressed.
I vary the body so my main varieties are peacock herl with gold or silver rib, pearly, silver, red or green holographic. Sometimes I add a red tag - but does that make it a butcher?
More like an Alexandra which was banned!

Actually there is a fairly valid point here. If I tie a Mallard & Claret which is about as traditional as it gets and is tied thus: GP tippets for the tail, fine oval gold rib, Claret seal fur body, red game hackle and bronze mallard wing.

I decide to tie it with a GP crest for the tail, gold holographic tinsel for the rib, red seal body, red game hackle and silver mallard wing. Is it still a Mallard & Claret, and if not, why not?

Last edited:

bobmiddlepoint

More like an Alexandra which was banned!

Actually there is a fairly valid point here. If I tie a Mallard & Claret which is about as traditional as it gets and is tied thus: GP tippets for the tail, fine oval gold rib, Claret seal fur body, red game hackle and bronze mallard wing.

I decide to tie it with a GP crest for the tail, gold holographic tinsel for the rib, red seal body, red game hackle and silver mallard wing. Is it still a Mallard & Claret, and if not, why not?
Well (and this has brought out the fly pattern and colour pedant in me) clearly not because red seal fur isn't claret.
The variation you suggest is abut as far from a Mallard & Claret as a sea trout is from a salmon... but then a lot of people struggle with that too :unsure:

BobP

Well (and this has brought out the fly pattern and colour pedant in me) clearly not because red seal fur isn't claret.
The variation you suggest is abut as far from a Mallard & Claret as a sea trout is from a salmon... but then a lot of people struggle with that too :unsure:
Which is the whole point of my post. A look through the fly tying section will show that a lot of flies proudly displayed by their creators as a "wotsit & thingy" - name any traditional pattern - is actually nothing like the original.

I used to tie a lot of flies for a London shop, sadly no longer there, and the manager, himself an expert fly dresser, always insisted that the flies must be true to the original pattern as far as possible. Substitutes for exotic feathers were permitted but the colours had to be true. No using dyed blue guinea fowl for Invictas or the Irish Bumble patterns because it is easier and quicker.

Taking that as a given then it follows that as the original Cormorant has a black marabou wing anything tied with any other colour is not a Cormorant. It is a variant or a Little Grebe or any other suitable name, but it is not a Cormorant anymore than my mythical fly above is a Mallard & Claret.

ACW

In between the old and new Arsenal grounds
Which is the whole point of my post. A look through the fly tying section will show that a lot of flies proudly displayed by their creators as a "wotsit & thingy" - name any traditional pattern - is actually nothing like the original.

I used to tie a lot of flies for a London shop, sadly no longer there, and the manager, himself an expert fly dresser, always insisted that the flies must be true to the original pattern as far as possible. Substitutes for exotic feathers were permitted but the colours had to be true. No using dyed blue guinea fowl for Invictas or the Irish Bumble patterns because it is easier and quicker.

Taking that as a given then it follows that as the original Cormorant has a black marabou wing anything tied with any other colour is not a Cormorant. It is a variant or a Little Grebe or any other suitable name, but it is not a Cormorant anymore than my mythical fly above is a Mallard & Claret.
Benwoods was a superb shop!

Rob Edmunds

I get your point Bob

People use the phrase " oh I caught on a black cat booby"......strictly speaking here is no such thing as a black cat's whisker booby!! A cats whisker should be Chartreuse & White

But I understand why people do it....we all understand what they mean when describing a pattern or a style of pattern

I call claret cormorant style patterns " claret cormorants" when asked......

White Hummungus style patterns Hummungus's even though a Hummungus should be Black....

I do know the history and original tying of many of the patterns I use, Hummungus's, Cats Whiskers, Cormorants, Boobies, Blobs etc.. if that makes it any better but still basterdise them and change things up a little.

Latest posts