Come on, it's a gravy train!

warrenslaney

Under a piece of legislation brought out in 2010, any breech of environmental law may now be punished by the company or person paying a local charity a sum of money instead of being prosecuted.

Why are the fishery and rivers trusts so slow at applying for these funds? The Wildlife Trusts and the Bird Charities have been coining it in for years. Although they aren't yet capable of wasting money as quickly as these Wildlife Trusts, I'm sure with some practice our rivers trusts will become equally inept but maybe, just maybe, the odd weir might get taken out. So come on, all aboard.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/456724/LIT_5789.pdf

warrenslaney

Civil Sanctions on the wrongfoot

It is exactly as I described. The is no fund of course but funds as I said, meaning money. I think you used the same term yourself. In fact the agencies reserve the right to prosecute whether sanction payments have been paid or not. Better to be nearly right than completely wrong.

When a pollution occurs this money is better going to a properly constructed trust with a single interest in rivers, and not to some Wildlife Trust that pays itself 80% admin from every grant and the rest goes in interpretation boards :rolleyes:

boisker

Re: Civil Sanctions on the wrongfoot

What a sad post... I can't speak for WT's across the country but the Dorset and Wiltshire WT's have done a huge amount of work on chalkstreams....
But if you could post the details of any funder who will pay 80% admin costs I'd be keen to hear
I think you'll find that in the recent catchment restoration funds the admin costs of the WT's were no higher than the rivers trusts.

Latest posts