Fly Fishing Forum banner

Compact tying station

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  carperjim 
#1 ·
I could not find a suitable tying station to buy,the were either to small,to big,or looked more like thread/tool stores.Most had vice just lying on top in pedestal.

I was looking for a compact station that housed all my tools some bobbins and wire and also did away with base for the vice,but needed to fit on a shelf in my ofiice up out the road of my work area.

it was only a matter of time till I client called to say they had a hook/fly in the investment/pension file,lol

After looking at many pages of stations talking to a few on the forum,i came up with this
[/url]

I joined two sections of mdf to give me nice white work surface and depth to mount vice,and allow fixing to come in from the side.Also added lip to stop hooks,beads etc rolling off.

[/url]

I also added a bobbin holder(made by mr trout):thumbs:this really saves space and time re threading bobbins.

[/url]

I did not like the snowbee sight board,so quick look on ebay and a a4 doc holder did the trick,solid as a rock and easy to move out the road if required

[/url]

my desk is in some mess with glue etc,so I had some wood left and a finish station was born

[/url]

Next to tackle the shelves and a thread holder

See less See more
#4 ·
Looks great. I need to make something like that, as my stuff has to be put away due to three year old being around, but would be handy to just put all that out of reach in one go. How does that bobbin holder work? Is it a spring on top holding the threads?

#6 · (Edited)
That looks brilliant Bill, slightly more professional than mine that I made very recently and certainly more compact :eek:mg:

I have similar problems (?!) to that of WelshOsprey and needed to find something that was transportable from floor to floor and room to room to avoid juniors little hands !

I did use a bit of 'no more nails' and the edges aren't perfect matches but after a couple of days of banging and swearing I got something that serves me well for purpose using stuff that was lying around - it has allowed me to find more time to tie as a result...before now I had to keep things locked in tubs in cupboards and it was a rigmarole to even think about tying.

I hope you don't mind me sharing this on your thread, just I've picked up a few things from your pictures I possibly could add to it (with no more nails :eek:mg: ) - namely the thread spool holders - the biggest downside of mine is that despite thinking I have all the bits out that I'll need I always have to lift the lid to get something I'd forgotten, it's normally a wire, tinsel or such like :(

I'd need something curved though as as you can see from the handle when picked up it hangs vertically (haven't managed to suss a solution to this - it's the size of it that inhibits movement between door frames easily when horizontal).

Edit : I especially like your sight board alternative :thumbs:

#8 ·
These all look great. I adopt the procedure of gradually getting an area more and more messy until I have to tidy it up :eek:mg: the one advantage of this is you get loads of scrap and offcuts that you can make into a nice rough and ready dub for caddis cases :whistle:

#12 ·
#13 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.