Compo 69 fly reel

Nick

Does any one own any Compo 69 fly reels made by Fisker in Denmark,I have two that I need to change the spools on,i undone one of the retaining drag nuts but when it reached the end of the spindle it locked and I had to use pliers to get it off ,this stripped the inside thread of the nut so consequently it won't tighten,it is the same problem with the other reel and I don't wish to damage this one as well.
Does anyone know how to get this nut off so as I can replace the rubber O rings and also where I might obtain another nut as all the different ones I have tried won't fit.
Thank you.

icejohn

The nut is designed to stay on permantly. Don't take the nut off or even try to remove it.

The o ring normally stretchs and jams the spool on. Cut off o ring using wire etc.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 90002

Does any one own any Compo 69 fly reels made by Fisker in Denmark,I have two that I need to change the spools on,i undone one of the retaining drag nuts but when it reached the end of the spindle it locked and I had to use pliers to get it off ,this stripped the inside thread of the nut so consequently it won't tighten,it is the same problem with the other reel and I don't wish to damage this one as well.
Does anyone know how to get this nut off so as I can replace the rubber O rings and also where I might obtain another nut as all the different ones I have tried won't fit.
Thank you.
I have a Danica in my shed with a spare spool if that's any use..

3lbgrayling

The nut is intended to be captive,a stupid idea on this design.I have given up on what I thought was a great simple lightweight reel which I used for years. You are meant to be able to slacken the nut and spreader block and pop the spool over the O ring.But as the nitrile O ring wears it stretches and jams the spool in place.As stated you should then cut off the O ring and Replace with a new one.but most folk try to take the captive nut off,Destroying the last 2 or three threads of the spindle.If you dont require lots of spare spools as I did for Comp fishing, just force it back on and glue the nut in place otherwise it's knacked.Sorry.

Jim

Nick

The nut is intended to be captive,a stupid idea on this design.I have given up on what I thought was a great simple lightweight reel which I used for years. You are meant to be able to slacken the nut and spreader block and pop the spool over the O ring.But as the nitrile O ring wears it stretches and jams the spool in place.As stated you should then cut off the O ring and Replace with a new one.but most folk try to take the captive nut off,Destroying the last 2 or three threads of the spindle.If you dont require lots of spare spools as I did for Comp fishing, just force it back on and glue the nut in place otherwise it's knacked.Sorry.

Jim
Thanks for your reply, will see if I can rethread it or glue it as you recommend.

D

Deleted member 90002

Thanks for your reply,can you actually change the spool on the reel otherwise I am back to square one,if so what is your asking price ?
Have a look at your messages lad.

3lbgrayling

Thanks for your reply,can you actually change the spool on the reel otherwise I am back to square one,if so what is your asking price ?
Just slacken the nut and then cut/remove old O ring.Then stretch new O ring over retaining nut/stretcher.Job done.But no use for fast change/comp fishing.(once O ring has enlarged)

Jim

revo

Just slacken the nut and then cut/remove old O ring.Then stretch new O ring over retaining nut/stretcher.Job done.But no use for fast change/comp fishing.(once O ring has enlarged)

Jim
Hello I’ve just been given a secondhand compo 69 but the spool doesn’t click onto the spindle, it just slides and off. Will new o-ring seals fix that? I see they are available on eBay. Thanks

Ollie

The Rev Oliver Harrison

3lbgrayling

Ollie.you should have 3 parts to tighten the spindle.1st the nurled nut on top.Then a tapered fibre washer(spreader) then the O ring.you must have all 3 parts to make it work.

Jim

revo

Ollie.you should have 3 parts to tighten the spindle.1st the nurled nut on top.Then a tapered fibre washer(spreader) then the O ring.you must have all 3 parts to make it work.

Jim
Thanks. I’m missing the o-ring; I assumed it goes between the nut and the tapered washer but from what you say it should fit at bottom of the three, underneath the other two. Thanks again