Confusion?

running bear

Soapbox - I have a UK in house designed speech platform, that utilises the most technically advanced Japanese developed nano spheres, expertly assembled in South Korea and finished by UK based craftsmen. The advancements provide the orator with a superior elevation, that enables sound waves to transverse both short and long distances with ease, with no loss of perlocution, elocution or illocution associated with yesterdays technology.

eddleston123

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

The marketing boys do their job well and create the demand

The anglers fuel the fire by buying all the new ideas.

Because anglers have bought the product (probably not necessary) they sell the idea to their friends, - it gets written about in fishing mags to fill the space - more people buy in the forlorn hope of catching more fish with this 'new idea' - Newbies get sucked into all this 'technical' stuff and feel that it is a necessity which will enable them to catch more fish etc, etc, etc.

The tackle industry sells more and more, and is constantly looking for additional new ideas to promote, as a 'must have' item. Anglers begin to look more and more like fashion models, adorned with the latest of essentials, must have clothing, dripping with equipment of all type, and looking like a walking xmas tree.

Whilst all this is happening, the aged angler, walks the river bank with his one and only rod, reel, line etc, happily out fishing all the xmas trees using only a couple of essentials that many modern day anglers simply don't have - EXPERIENCE AND WATERCRAFT !

He happily cycles home, laughing up his sleeve!!

Douglas

Last edited:

running bear

I recall an article in the 80's fishing press that tackle shops didn't make as much from the game angler as the coarse counterparts. It suggested we really only bought leader material and a fly line every few years, and we spent primarily on the day tickets and club memberships etc.

Clearly a marketeer read the same article. Now we've all got rods in weights 0 to 12, half size heavy lines of 6 densities to suit, in different lengths, and now in fast glass too. It's only a matter of time until we are sold half sized rods, to match the half sized lines.

Rhithrogena

It's only a matter of time until we are sold half sized rods, to match the half sized lines.
Genius!! They would only have to change the label on my 9' #5/6.....
I never realised it was really a #5.5. So which half size heavy line should I buy for it since the #5 I use on it is too light.....
EDIT: this was one of the sneakier changes in rod marketing. The demise of a rod range of three rods covering #3/4,#5/6,#7/8 and the creation of in between rods with single ratings, so six rods, doubling the choice and creating need in the angler's mind. And we swallow it hook, line and sinker.....

lhomme

Genius!! They would only have to change the label on my 9' #5/6.....
I never realised it was really a #5.5. So which half size heavy line should I buy for it since the #5 I use on it is too light.....
EDIT: this was one of the sneakier changes in rod marketing. The demise of a rod range of three rods covering #3/4,#5/6,#7/8 and the creation of in between rods with single ratings, so six rods, doubling the choice and creating need in the angler's mind. And we swallow it hook, line and sinker.....

Half sized rods. We call them stalking rods, only to be used on your knees. They have an inbuilt alarm when you cast too far. It sounds like a fart. On the other side of the spectrum you have rocket rods, they shoot to the horizon, they are sold with a warning sticker to prevent self-combustion.

Rhithrogena

Half sized rods. We call them stalking rods, only to be used on your knees. They have an inbuilt alarm when you cast too far. It sounds like a fart. On the other side of the spectrum you have rocket rods, they shoot to the horizon, they are sold with a warning sticker to prevent self-combustion.
I did know a guy who had a spare handle made to fit just the tip of his 2 piece river rod for casting in tight spots. The clever thing was the spare handle was also the handle for his landing net.
Not sure how he landed any big trout he caught on his half-rod.....

running bear

I did know a guy who had a spare handle made to fit just the tip of his 2 piece river rod for casting in tight spots. The clever thing was the spare handle was also the handle for his landing net.
Not sure how he landed any big trout he caught on his half-rod.....
My first 'brook' rod was the top half of my first fly rod, with the reel held in my pocket, and no more than 3 yards of line out the tip. I learned the induced take with that setup.

Elwyman

I had no idea catching trout was so complicated till I found this forum :)
Indeed, the first book on fly fishing I read, Teach Yourself Fly Fishing, covered all you really need to know about river, stillwater, trout, grayling, sea trout and salmon fishing.

The main casting tip I remember was to imagine there was a bird sitting high in a tree behind you, and to try and hit it with your fly on the back cast.

Author was Maurice Wiggin.

lhomme

My first 'brook' rod was the top half of my first fly rod, with the reel held in my pocket, and no more than 3 yards of line out the tip. I learned the induced take with that setup.

I used to teach kids(8-10 years old) to cast with the top half. It's amazing how fast they pick it up when given something more manageable. Older ones got the whole rod and often struggled longer before they got it right.

codyarrow

Soapbox - I have a UK in house designed speech platform, that utilises the most technically advanced Japanese developed nano spheres, expertly assembled in South Korea and finished by UK based craftsmen. The advancements provide the orator with a superior elevation, that enables sound waves to transverse both short and long distances with ease, with no loss of perlocution, elocution or illocution associated with yesterdays technology.
Buggre i's wendt wit Nerth Corean yin.

codyarrow

I have thought in the past it would be really useful to set up a sticky of how to set up a rod and line for beginners with pictures. I do have my doubts about if we could agree basics like tightening up the reel to the seat or threading the line through a ring. :)
I wonder how many take a gander at this site before they ever own a rod or fish?

D

Deleted member 90002

I have thought in the past it would be really useful to set up a sticky of how to set up a rod and line for beginners with pictures. I do have my doubts about if we could agree basics like tightening up the reel to the seat or threading the line through a ring. :)
I wonder how many take a gander at this site before they ever own a rod or fish?
Learning to walk before you can run.. The absolute basics could be a great start.. I was lucky have my dad as a tutor not all do.. 👍👍

clag

A question for the body of the kirk. If I use any form of service, or buy almost any form of white good or electrical I am bombarded with feedback/rating requests by e-mail.

So ignoring retailler service requests, how many on here have ever been contacted by a tackle manufacturing company to give any form of feedback on their products following a purchase particularly if you have filed a warranty card with them?

Regards

CLaG